Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UEFI Partition?

Thanks

UEFI Partition?

My grandson is trying to build a computer. It seems that the hardware is working. He now is trying to install Windows 8, but the hard drive GPT (?) is UEFU, and the Windows 8 DVD says it won't/can't install to that partition.

How do I "fix" this?

Do I delete the partition (How?)? Can I change it to MBR?

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    My grandson is trying to build a computer. It seems that the hardware is working. He now is trying to install Windows 8, but the hard drive GPT (?) is UEFU, and the Windows 8 DVD says it won't/can't install to that partition.

How do I "fix" this?

Do I delete the partition (How?)? Can I change it to MBR?

Chuck
    Is that a new HDD or from another computer? In either case I have downloaded GPARTED to create the bootable CD then wiped all partitions from the HDD, give Windows a clean start. It usually will pick up what the BIOS reports. A lot depends upon the age of the computer/motherboard, if older it may have only an MBR BIOS or if newer it may have a choice to set.

Thanks
    Berton, this is a new HDD that my GS bought (he built the PC). I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    The install should also give you the option to delete the existing partitions. UEFI GPT boot (usually if not always) requires a small Fat32 partition for windows loader. Windows should do this all automatically if you delete the existing partition.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Windows (asll vers) has set up a boot section during setup. But this time the install wouldn't even start as it said it couldn't be installed on that drive. I was able to use Easus Partition Manger to delete everything and then it all worked.

Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Stick with UEFI / GPT, it's the current standard.
    Can W8 "see" the disk? You may need to load drivers to access the disk controller.
    What mobo?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    It would have been nice to do so, Paul, but not if Windows 10 wouldn't / couldn't install to the disk.

Now Paul, since I have "reverted" to MBR, if I wanted to go to UEFI, what would I need to do, especially since the Windows install wouldn't even recognize it?

My machine says it is UEFI ready, but I got myself into all kinds of muck when I started messing around with it.

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2015-12-02 at 22:19.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Once formatted as MBR you can't easily change to UEFI - easiest is probably a fresh install.
    Windows 8 and above automatically uses UEFI / GPT if available. Did you perform a manual partition / format?

cheer,s Paul

Thanks
    Paul, my grandson bought the drive (new) and it came partitioned. Since I am really new to this, I didn't watch or look for anything unique. He had it all installed, and I tried both a Windows 8 DVD and a Windows 10 USB, and, although it showed as having 900+ gigs free, I got an error that Windows could not be installed on the drive.

I was, as an aside, surprised that it came partitioned at all.

As it is still at the install and setup stage, I can always start over without issue -- IF I can find out why it wouldn't install in the first place. There were no BIOS changes that I know of before or after.

Also, some time back, and I double-checked at this point, I checked and saw that my laptop is UEFI capable.When I bought it however (2 years prior) it came preset with Windows 7 Home Premium, and when I then erased and set up Windows 7 Ultimate, I had none of these issues even come up, so mine was set up with MBR, even though it had and has UEFI capability. I got myself totally screwed up one day thinking that changing to UEFI looked like a great idea, and was thankfully able to revert back.

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2015-12-03 at 21:45. Reason: more info

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Maybe the disk was already MBR / something else.
    Take an image backup, delete the partition(s) and re-install. Let us know how it goes?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul, when I went and looked at the "steps" for UEFI, it seemed, for this poor soul, just a but daunting. It involved setting up multiple partitions (?) and then...

What if I just deleted everything and then started over? Couldn't UEFI (like MBR) just set up what it needed and carry on from there? Also, I checked and my laptop is UEFI compatible, but I don't remember any choices / questions when I installed Windows 7 or 10, and that was, once at least, after deleting all the partitions and starting "from scratch."

So, is it a BIOS issue or change that I never addressed or had to deal with that made the difference?

And, I am assuming from the lack of warnings, that Windows installs fine on a "normal" UEFI setup? Because the inability to do so is what started this whole discussion, because Windows 10 wouldn't install to a partition of 910 gigs.

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2015-12-04 at 21:51. Reason: More info

jwoods
    Don't confuse UEFI with GPT.

UEFI is firmware that stared with new Windows 8 PC's, and was designed to replace the traditional BIOS.

http://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what...d-of-the-bios/

GPT is a disk partitioning format.

http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/what...oning-a-drive/

You could use a freeware tool such as MiniTool Partition Wizard to change the partition format from MBR to GPT.

Neither UEFI, nor GPT, is required to run Windows 10.

That said, this is how the two become dependent...

From Microsoft...

For example, if you receive the error message: “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is not of the GPT partition style”, it’s because your PC is booted in UEFI mode, but your hard drive is not configured for UEFI mode. You’ve got a few options:

Reboot the PC in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode. This option lets you keep the existing partition style. For more info, see Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode.

Reformat the drive for UEFI by using the GPT partition style. This option lets you use the PC’s UEFI firmware features.

You can do this yourself by reformatting the drive using the instructions below, or if you need to preserve the data, use a third-party utility to convert the drive to GPT format.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-04 at 22:05.

Thanks
    "You can do this yourself by reformatting the drive using the instructions below..."

??

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    "You can do this yourself by reformatting the drive using the instructions below..."??
    Omitted.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Omitted.
    I'll jump in with a guess here: the "Omitted" refers to the URL for the MS page quoted from, likely to be this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast