Star Lounger
    Thanks

Backup strategies

Currently running Windows 7. My backup uses a Seagate external drive & an HP SimpleSave. Afaik, the included software will not work in Windows 10 & there are no upgrades pending/available.
    I have purchased an Orico external enclosure that will accept up to 4 drives. Mounting the drives etc is no problem; however, I wonder about suitable software.

I currently have 2 internal drives; one is C:\ (single partition) and the other has D:\, E:\ and F:\. For backup C:\ is paired with the HP SimpleSave; D:\, E:\ & F;\ are paired with the Seagate.

1. How can I achieve a similar setup with drives installed in the external case? What backup software will backup multiple sources to multiple target drives (ie C:\ to one external drive & the other external drive would backup D:\, E:\, & F:\)?
    2. Do I need two different backup products that run simultaneously but one software app backs up C:\ and the other would backup the remainder?
    3. Suitable software app(s)?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Any of the commercial apps will do the job (Macrium, EaseUS, Acronis, etc). All you need to do is set up several jobs and schedule them - you generally need to buy the software to use scheduling, but what is your data worth?

cheers, Paul

p.s. rather than "pairing" disks I use a 2 tier approach, backup everything to a spare internal disk, copy that to an external disk which I keep in a safe.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-12-02)

Thanks
    PaulTs way certainly will work! However, check this out:
    Some time ago, I had dual 20GB HDs, C & E on drive 0, D & F on drive 1, C images went to F, D images went to E, crisscross-pairing. Now, laptops and desktops: C & D on drive 0, backups go to external HDs, one data D, 2-3 OS Cs [about a week or two apart]. Because 1 desktop and 1 laptop have a 2nd intHD, will clone drive 0 onto drive 1 bi-monthly. I use both Macrium Reflect Pro and Acronis True Image, 75% & 25% of the time respectively.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    20GB disks! How old is that!?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Get Second Copy at secondcopydotcom

Once you try it, you will love it.

It will do everything you want, but no disk imaging.
    Very very easy.
    Way flexible.
    Outstanding support - which you will never need.
    Offer a fully functioning free trial.
    $29.95

from their site:
    Supports Windows XP through 10
    Easy setup
    Automatic backups
    Highest level of encryption
    Back up open files (32-bit & 64-bit)
    Unicode support
    Non-proprietary format
    Automatic archival of old versions
    Back up Documents, Music, Pictures,
    ... and all other important data

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    UncleStu, that's looking a bit too ad-like methinks.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleStu View Post
    Get Second Copy at secondcopydotcom
    Once you try it, you will love it.
    I don't think so, really.
    A long time ago I recommended it to a few customers, luckily only a few.
    Second Copy had a tendency to make the box REALLY slow, especially at startup/log on to the system.
    Removed it real soon.
    YMMV.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    ...Second Copy had a tendency to make the box REALLY slow, especially at startup/log on to the system...
    I'm wondering if the clients allowed the default of SecondCopy always monitoring, always doing incremental backup in the background? I do not even allow Macrium Reflect or Acronis to monitor in the background nor do incremental backups.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no perfect one-size-fits-all backup strategy. I store a lot of stuff on a mirrored NAS and image my three computers at least once a month before running updates. The images to onto an external drive that goes into a fire-resistant box. There are a very small number of files that go into DropBox as well.

I started using OneDrive when they increased the available free storage to 30GB. But when they revealed their bait and switch move and dropped that to 5GB, it got the heave-ho. I'm still looking at a few cloud solutions but am not really all that impressed with anything - at least nothing I would pay for.

The thing to bear in mind about backups is that unless you can easily restore files, they are useless. Online backups are great until your hard drive starts making a grinding noise and you get a BSOD. At that point, what you really need is a new hard drive, a boot disk, and a recent drive image. So, you really need multiple backups that server different purposes. A recent image to restore your OS and programs and some kind of backup of recent copies of documents. This is where having a good file organization system becomes very, very, important.

One more small thing, continuous backups often don't have any oops protection. By that I mean if you accidentally cut out a few paragraphs in a document and save it, you need something you can go back to and retrieve that. In that case, having a backup from the day before can be critical. Continuous backups may not provide for something like that.

All this is by way of saying that before you settle on a physical backup plan, you need to figure out what your backup plan needs to accomplish. How you work and what you store and how critical it is are all factors you need to consider. I've seen a number of expensive solutions fail because they didn't take into consideration the entire picture.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)