Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Adobe is telling people to stop using Flash

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/1/98...op-using-flash

Adobe is finally ready to say goodbye to Flash. In an announcement last night, Adobe said that it will now "encourage content creators to build with new web standards," such as HTML5, rather than Flash. It's also beginning to deprecate the Flash name by renaming its animation app to Animate CC, away from Flash Professional CC.
    Flash has been slowly dying over the past decade, in part due to an absence of support on smartphones and in part because it's kind of become a scourge of the internet. Though Flash initially had great success as a tool for creating web games and animations, it has a number of downsides that have stood out more and more each year. Flash pages and players can be slow to load and a big drain on laptop batteries. More importantly, Flash has continually been subject to security issues, making it a major risk for anyone browsing the web.

Thanks
    I did't hear it yet.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    While I appreciate this move, I fear that anything that replaces it may be as bleeping annoying as Flash has become.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    About eight months ago, I was about to give up on web surfing, things were so slow on my computer. I then discovered that if I uninstalled or disabled Flash, things got a lot faster. I haven't used Flash since.

I read somewhere that advertisers use Flash to run ads on websites. It then made perfect sense why Flash slowed down web surfing.

I hope that whatever replaces flash doesn't have the same problems that Flash had.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

The Villain In Glasses (2015-12-06)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    About eight months ago, I was about to give up on web surfing, things were so slow on my computer. I then discovered that if I uninstalled or disabled Flash, things got a lot faster. I haven't used Flash since.

I read somewhere that advertisers use Flash to run ads on websites. It then made perfect sense why Flash slowed down web surfing.

I hope that whatever replaces flash doesn't have the same problems that Flash had.
    I have AdblockPlus installed for IE and uBlock in Firefox for the odd time that I use it, but found my ISP e-mails are a lot more responsive with ABP installed because of all of the adverts that had to load up before you could do anything.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

The Villain In Glasses (2015-12-06)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I have AdblockPlus installed for IE and uBlock in Firefox for the odd time that I use it, but found my ISP e-mails are a lot more responsive with ABP installed because of all of the adverts that had to load up before you could do anything.
    Do you have good response in web surfing (i.e. in things other than email) since installing AdblockPlus and uBlock?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The biggest problems I have seen with using blockers is that they often work too well. When you do want to view something, you sometimes have to almost completely disable the blocker for a site to get something to play.

I blame the web designers for a lot of this. It's not enough for them to have static ads anymore - they have to have 15 different animated ads and pop-ups so that the web page jumps around like it's on fire. It's particularly bad in mobile viewers because all this junk is eating up bandwidth at the same time.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    I use a number of ad blocking tools and Chrome seems to run fine. I also have adblock plus on IE 11 and it seems to run fine. I also have opted out of the google "interest based ads".
    Ad Blockers.JPGopt out google ads.JPG

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Do you have good response in web surfing (i.e. in things other than email) since installing AdblockPlus and uBlock?
    I may have to wait for the odd page to load and the Huff Post is always slow, but that is probably because of all of the other news items that load with it,

There is one site that I have had to add to ADP's exclude list because the betting SPs don't display.

They are dynamic and probably use the same method of ads, but generally I don't have any problems with pages loading and use CCleaner at the end of each session to keep the temp file cache and other bits down and ensure %temp% also doesn't build up which will slow a machine down.

Thanks
    The End of Flash.jpg
    Click to enlarge

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-12-12),KenYoung (2015-12-10),Sudo15 (2015-12-07),wavy (2015-12-07)

Thanks
    Looks like not only was the end near, but the end came!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Rick,

Very appropriate w/Sinatra's 100 birthday on 12 Dec.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Personally, I use Flashblock in Firefox, which not only blocks Flash, but also HTML5 Video and Silverlight (in the options). It displays a clickable button to temporarily enable Flash/Silverlight/HTML5 Video. White lists for certain sites (e.g. YouTube, Netflix, etc.) can also be enabled with this add-on.

Instead of blocking advertisements, it blocks videos. (That being said, I also still use NoScript, Ghostery, and Adblock Plus in Firefox, but to block ads, not to block Flash.)

In other browsers, I use the click-to-run feature. (Click to run is also available in Firefox, but I like Flashblock much more).

Thanks
    Speaking of Flash, there is a new update today, Flash 20.0.0.228

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Speaking of Flash, there is a new update today, Flash 20.0.0.228
    Flash Tuesday -

IE - 20.0.0.228

Firefox - 20.0.0.235

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast