Thread: Hibernate

Lounger
    Thanks

Hibernate

I am currently using Windows 7. Having decided that hibernate would have its uses, finding how to add it to the shut down options via the command line was simple enough:

c:\windows\system32>powercfg -h on

and to remove it:

c:\windows\system32>powercfg -h off

However, I use Truecrypt, and if hibernate is used when the drives are open, presumably the data remains available in hiberfil.sys. Turning it off deletes the file, but does it remove the data completely? There are applications which completely erase a specific file, but would this then cause a system malfunction? If not, would it then be possible to use the first command to reinstate hibernate? If system malfunction would be the result, could this be avoided by renaming a saved copy of the file?

For those interested, I use Puppy Linux for banking, and the re-boot to Windows would obviously be faster if hibernate had been used.

Thanks
    Do you have current restorable backups of both OS and data partitions? If not, make them before trying this idea. If so, no harm in trying it, you might have to un-mount any open logical drives before hybernating.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

JohnLo (2015-12-02)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Do you have current restorable backups of both OS and data partitions? If not, make them before trying this idea. If so, no harm in trying it, you might have to un-mount any open logical drives before hybernating.
    It has occurred to me that closing the virtual drives and hibernating would overwrite the hiberfil.sys file. Doing this each time would defeat the object, of course, but it could be done daily, perhaps, at shut-down. I close them anyway. So that's one answer, hibernate instead of an ordinary shut-down.

Thanks
    JohnLo, you can probably hibernate all you want with TrueCrypt I did not have a smooth awakening when I hybernated my laptop while Windows XP mode [vm] was running. I definitely have to hybernate Windows XP mode before restart/shutdown/hybernation.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    c:\windows\system32>powercfg -h off
    Should delete hiberfil.sys. But of course it's contents are still there just not on the file directory. I am not sure what the complications might be with a true-crypt encrypted drive.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

JohnLo (2015-12-03)

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLo View Post
    However, I use Truecrypt
    TrueCrypt is now a security risk.

You might consider using VeraCrypt.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

JohnLo (2015-12-03)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are encrypting the entire disk volume then the hibernation file is secure. If the hibernate file is outside of the truecrypt encrypted partition then yes anything loaded into it by Windows is unencrypted. Overwriting it doesn't work that way with a new hibernate file. It writes to the next available area of the partition. The old portion is made available but is readily recoverable until the partition fills and the partition started being written back to the "empty" areas eventually getting back to the area the former hibernation file was located. That means there are a large number of "gone" hibernate files on the partition.

also regarding truecrypt:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...Crypt-revealed

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

JohnLo (2015-12-03)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    TrueCrypt is now a security risk.

You might consider using VeraCrypt.
    I thought that the security risks had been examined, particularly by an audit, and discounted. However, I had never heard of Veracrypt, but will look at it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    If you are encrypting the entire disk volume then the hibernation file is secure. If the hibernate file is outside of the truecrypt encrypted partition then yes anything loaded into it by Windows is unencrypted. Overwriting it doesn't work that way with a new hibernate file. It writes to the next available area of the partition. The old portion is made available but is readily recoverable until the partition fills and the partition started being written back to the "empty" areas eventually getting back to the area the former hibernation file was located. That means there are a large number of "gone" hibernate files on the partition.

also regarding truecrypt:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...Crypt-revealed
    Looks as if I will have to wipe all unused space. Makes the use of hibernate dangerous if encrypted virtual drives are used. It is easy (I've just done it) to select hibernate instead of sleep. Now I've got to do the wiping. Encrypting the whole volume is the answer, but I don't have Bitlocker (my version of Windows 7 is only the Pro), and there are reports of problems with the alternatives.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLo View Post
    I thought that the security risks had been examined, particularly by an audit, and discounted. However, I had never heard of Veracrypt, but will look at it.
    It was audited, but the two vulnerabilities were discovered in September.

VeraCrypt is a fork of TrueCrypt.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/

The issues were fixed in VC...

UPDATE September 26th 2015 : VeraCrypt 1.15 has been released. It fixes two vulnerabilities discovered in TrueCrypt on Windows, one of them is critical. It also fixes a couple of bugs.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-03 at 04:35.