Thanks

Windows update deletes Menu tab for Ubitmenu

Hi All,

I've been using Ubitmenu free for Office 2010 menus, and Ubitmenu For Outlook. I know, I know...get used to the ribbon because it isn't going away, but I'm a retired technical writer that has been using the Office 2003 menu system for as I can remember. I just can't get used to, or easily navigate the Ribbon.

Anyway, within the last month, MS offered several Office 2010 updates. There were several of them, so I wasn't able to decide which one caused the Ubitmenu deletion problem.

Not only did the 'Menu' tab disappear, but apparently one of these 'Updates' uninstalled Ubitmenu for Outlook. I tried to reinstall the Ubit Outlook but was not successful. The only way I could restore the Menu tab was to use System Restore to go back to immediately before downloading the updates. (Creating a restore point and labeling it "Prior to installing MS updates" has saved my bacon more than once over the years).

Has anyone else run into the problem of recent updates deleting Ubitmenu? After restoring my system to just before installing the updates, I haven't installed any of the subsequent Office 2010 updates. I realize this is not a good method for the long haul, but I need some help on correcting the 'updates deleting Ubitmenu' before I try the updates again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Owl

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Did you get an error message on the install?
    Was an installation log available?
    Have you checked the Ubitmenu site for an update?
    Is the Ubitmenu an add-in that was just disabled rather than uninstalled?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Did you get an error message on the install?
    Was an installation log available?
    Have you checked the Ubitmenu site for an update?
    Is the Ubitmenu an add-in that was just disabled rather than uninstalled?

Joe
    Joe,

There was no Ďinstallí recently. As I said, Iíve been using Ubitmenu for years. The only thing I did was install the MS updates.

The updates installed with no problem and all appeared to be well until I opened Outlook to check my email. There was no Menu tab in Outlook.

I didnít see any log file. Maybe I didnít look in the right place. I have version 1.04 installed, which is the latest version.

Iíll run the MS updates again to see if Ubit is disabled or deleted.

Thanks for your reply.

Owl

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Check your Trust Center to see if there are disabled addins.

Joe

Thanks
    If you are running Windows 10, you should look at this article from PC Mag Extreme Tech
    Windows 10's broken fall update removes user-installed applications without asking first

I hope this is relevant to your issue.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

JC, I'm not running Win 10 (yet).

I checked the Trust Center and there were no disabled add-ins.

I learned this morning that one of my hard drives is/was failing. The HD was under warranty, so the drive was replaced and the data transferred to a new drive.

Everything seems to be working OK now. I don't understand why a failing HD with just data and no OS or programs on it could cause the problem, but it obviously did. If I don't post more in this thread, consider the problem solved.

Thanks again to everyone!

Owl

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "I haven't installed any of the subsequent Office 2010 updates."

Good idea. Read on.

"I realize this is not a good method for the long haul"

Actually, it is a very good method for the long haul.

You just learned the wisdom of the old saying, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."

If a program is broken, fix the program.

Updating software is asking for trouble. Just read Windows Secrets Patch Watch columns, if you don't believe me.

The only reason to install updates, in my (humble?) opinion, is an urgent security issue, and there aren't many worth worrying about.

A few exceptions would be Flash player and Adobe Reader, both of which are common vectors for malware.

Anti-virus definitions must be updated very very often. I use the AVG free version, and it updates my definitions whenever an update is available (along with shiny new ads - but they are giving me their software free so I don't mind).
    Last edited by UncleStu; 2015-12-10 at 19:05. Reason: Correcting "Windows Secrets Update Watch" to "Windows Secrets Patch Watch"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are so many possible 'views' in Outlook, and so many ways to 'Change View' that it may have been something as simple as that. It is possible that you never lost your functions, but that you changed your 'view' - which topic you might now review. The clue is the missing 'Menu'.

I found it easier to master the ribbon than it will ever take to master Outlook.