Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Future computing: The Internet of Things

TOP STORY

Future computing: The Internet of Things

By Doug Spindler

Some thirty years ago, the personal computer revolution began and no other technology has evolved more quickly. Now there a new revolution, often referred to as the Internet of Things. Here's what you need to know about it.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/future-computing-the-internet-of-things (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Onboard cameras and computers can now prevent unsafe lane changes,

So I see a roadside tree falling in my path, but the software stops me swerving because it has seen the car behind me already swerving out (as if to overtake - but possibly because its driver has seen the tree).

Consequently I am hit by the tree and am killed.

Should my life insurance pay-out, should the software developers of my car have their liability insurance pay out (because it was incapable of choosing the lesser crash), or possibly should the other car's software developers' liability insurance pay out (because they inhibited my car from pulling out by reacting too fast)? Or should the owners of the tree pay out for not fitting a "rot sensor" to their tree?

I think I am going back to school - law school. I will never be out of work again (assuming that tree does not get me first).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dsf For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-12-04)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I was recently told that doctors have imbedded Windows 10 computers into patients.

Question would you allow a computer with a new operating system to be embedded in your body?

I dread to think what might happen if a masseur should accidentally Ctrl-Alt-Delete whilst trying to ease some muscle?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsf View Post
    Onboard cameras and computers can now prevent unsafe lane changes,

So I see a roadside tree falling in my path, but the software stops me swerving because it has seen the car behind me already swerving out (as if to overtake - but possibly because its driver has seen the tree).

Consequently I am hit by the tree and am killed.

Should my life insurance pay-out, should the software developers of my car have their liability insurance pay out (because it was incapable of choosing the lesser crash), or possibly should the other car's software developers' liability insurance pay out (because they inhibited my car from pulling out by reacting too fast)? Or should the owners of the tree pay out for not fitting a "rot sensor" to their tree?

I think I am going back to school - law school. I will never be out of work again (assuming that tree does not get me first).
    What you said. I will never, if I can help it, buy a vehicle that makes driving decisions for me. I've been driving long enough, including performance driving for a living, so if the car doesn't allow me to actually do the driving, I'm not interested. Might as well take the bus or a cab.

To pile on a bit - say I have a self-driving car (or computer assisted car), and I'm trying to parallel park (gee, there's a skill that seems to be dying off). The car stops moving because it's afraid I'm going to hit the car I'm backing towards. But wait a minute, I have to get close so I can get into the spot...

No way, not buying one of those. I'll stick to older vehicles.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was recently told that doctors have imbedded Windows 10 computers into patients.

Question would you allow a computer with a new operating system to be embedded in your body?

I dread to think what might happen if a masseur should accidentally Ctrl-Alt-Delete whilst trying to ease some muscle?
    I wouldn't allow anything that says Microsoft inside my body. I shuddered when I saw "Powered by Microsoft" low on the dashboard of my Ford Escape (it's the Sync system). One thing I've always considered in going about my job as a software developer is that nothing I work on is so critical that anybody is going to die as a result of an error on my part (I'm a business programmer). I don't write aircraft software, medical device software, etc. And I wouldn't trust Microsoft with any kind of medical device software (especially not with their track record of bugs and security lapses), I'd do without and look for old fashioned alternatives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can be accused of quibbling but the Apple II came out in 1977 programmed in BASIC thus accessible to the public code writers and was followed by the Commodore PET, Atari 8-bit family and Tandy Corporation's TRS-80 so I'd say closer to 40 years.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Whoever ever told you that was just plain wrong.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    not only that but another consideration is, given the unreliability of electronics, cramming ore and more into a vehicle means many times more chances of the car breaking down and not working, or having sensors break down and the car not passing inspection until it's fixed, the sensors conflicting with vital electronics in the vehicle when they malfunction etc- Them ore layers of complexity you add, them ore potential for something to go wrong

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We all saw how well these systems worked with Volkswagen!!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    But tech companies are working on new forms of computer memory (RAM) and data storage

I've been hearing and reading that for almost the last ten years! Stanford researchers this, MIT researchers that ... And yet, here we are in 2015 with nothing more than evolved RAM technology on the same old (evolved) slots doing the job in the same old way.

jwoods
    IoT = Internet of Targets.

Creates a whole new set of security issues.

http://www.startribune.com/internet-...ers/286979281/

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...-the-toasters/
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-03 at 19:18.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Even more dangerous

I was recently told that doctors have embedded Windows 10 computers into patients.

The situation you wrote about certainly IS dangerous! On the other hand, I think you would probably agree that there are some people living on our planet who we would wish could be given an 'operating system update'.

But, to site another danger that wasn't mentioned in the article: With this type of control and monitoring, what politician will be able to resist the possibility of a "1984 scenario". If you live in the United States, think deeply about this question: Of those currently seeking power, which would you want to give the possibility of 'crowd control' or 'population control' that this technology is capable of?

Finally, what privacy will we have left?
    Last edited by kennygr; 2015-12-03 at 21:34. Reason: Incorrect word placement

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kennygr View Post

Finally, what privacy will we have left?
    Aw, c'mon. You know perfectly well that anyone who uses the internet has no privacy!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    IPv6 is being implemented for the sole purpose of supporting IoT. The "we're running out of addresses" line is bogus. Yes, there are 4 billion IPv4 addresses, but each of those addresses can have up to 4 billion addresses through the use of NAT. Why does every node need a unique address as will happen under IPv6? Tracking - IPv6 addresses are the new UUID.

The statement in the article: "For the most part, the information is cleaned, sorted, and combined with other data to build models of our online behavior" misses the mark. With IoT, ALL behavior could be online, and those who analyze the data may be able to predict that behavior. That would make it easier to manipulate our behavior.

There really needs to be some controls around data - what can be collected, who can collect it, and what can be done with it.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris the Computin' Guru View Post
    The "we're running out of addresses" line is bogus.
    Actually, in North America, it's not...

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/north-a...net-addresses/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast