5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Coping with Windows 10 upgrades and updates

FIELD NOTES

Coping with Windows 10 upgrades and updates

By Tracey Capen

The upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1511 has been far from smooth even for those who imagine the upgrade left them nothing to worry about. Also: Some technical issues never completely disappear; take, for example, monitor burn-in.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/field-notes/coping-with-windows-10-upgrades-and-updates/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-12-02 at 17:59.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    your quote about "...scary that microsoft keeps these settings in cloud...."
    that's not all that's scary
    i have windows 10 pro, on two machines
    and truecrypt on another (switching to veracrypt)

windows update went OK, on the Win 10 pro machines, that have BITLOCKER on them, but something strange -
    on all the install reboots, I did NOT have to enter the password to bitlocker...
    that means, to me, that micorosoft, during install, is maintaining a key to this, so that on reboot, it does not have to ask me the password.
    AND, it must be booting to safe mode... because, as follows, with the truecrypt machine....

i tried installing update on truecrypt.
    software started, but at the point whre it would reboot, i'd get some FAIL in SAFE mode, etc error.
    searched on internet; someone else with drivedrypt had similar issue.
    the error would show up after the reboot, AFTER I'd enter the truecrypt password.
    to ME, it seemsed that microsoft was trying to boot to safe mode, and can't figure out how, after the truecrypt password entry.

I DECRYPTED the machine, and lo and behold, the upgrade worked.

SO, my concerns are....
    1. bitlocker, micorosoft storing password, for the reboots...
    2. and with truecrypt, or veracrypt , or others, that we have to DECRYPT each time, because micorosoft can't figure out how to get to safe mode after we enter the password????

New Lounger
    Thanks

Using the backUSB ports means crawling under my desk ... NO!

Tracey, You wrote," (Using the back ports means crawling under my desk, which I try to avoid. It's a literal pain in the back.)". I bought some short 3' USB extension cables that snake to convenient places (e.g. on the desk). No crawling. Low tech.