Star Lounger
    Thanks

Registry Edit to Allow Shortcuts in Start Menu (Win 7 Pro 64-bit)

Does anyone know of a registry edit to allow shortcuts to be created anywhere in the Wind 7 Start Menu?

Many times I want to create a shortcut in my highly customized Start Menu, but when I right click on a folder, the only option is to create another folder. Or, if I attempt to drag a shortcut into the Start Menu I sometimes get an error message that says you can't do that and then asks if you want to create the shortcut on the desktop. While that's a suitable workaround, I'd rather create the shortcut with one step!

Never had this problem with XP.

Thanks,

Paul Y

jwoods
    I am able to add a folder shortcut to the Start Menu by left clicking on the icon, and dragging it to the Start button.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can add any folders I want, but with some I am not able to add/create a shortcut.
    I have not been able to figure out why I can add shortcuts to some folders and not others.
    I'm sure somewhere there is a registry edit that will allow adding shortcuts ANYWHERE in the Start Menu.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You don't need a Registry edit, just turn off UAC, then turn it on again when you have finished.

jwoods
    The only shortcut folders I have noticed that can't be added to the Start menu are those that map to folders on network shares.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that suggestion, but that, again, is a workaround.
    Would prefer to turn it off permanently!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Network shares not involved. All my shortcuts are to either internal or external hard drives - mostly one of two internal hard drives..

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Turning off UAC may be a "workaround" but I believe it is as good as it gets. That's because UAC was specifically designed not to be susceptible to the sort of hack you are looking for.
    I agree that this restriction on creating or placing shortcuts on the Start menu(s) is a pain but the only workaround I have found is the one I mentioned.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Guess I'll have to do that - not willingly.