New Lounger
    Thanks

Why is my windows backup so large?

Why is my backup over 470 GB, when my O.S. and files only equal about 110 G.B. ? I am using windows built in backup tool. On windows 10 OS. I have tried deleting the backup, and starting fresh, but always get an extremely large size for the backup. The drive the OS is on is only 240GB ssd. But am only using apprx 110GB of it.

Update-

Strange,

After windows 10 last major update I noticed my backup files where gone!? Ran backup again and everything came out to a normal size. Do not know what the issue was.
    Last edited by walkjp1; 2015-12-12 at 02:24. Reason: Update

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How do you know it's that big?
    What sort of backup are you doing?
    What are you backing up to?

I would try the free version of Macrium Reflect to compare backup size.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Try something like TreeSize Free (or other similar software) to see which folders contain large files. You can drill down to lower folders. Best to start it by running as Administrator.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Do you have multiple disks and have the boot record on a different drive than the OS drive? If this is the case, the Windows system backup will back up both drives.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @walkjp1 - I had the same situation on my Win 7 machine and finally found that my E: partition had a System Restore allocated space set to 23%. This was making it use over 141 Gigabytes. I set it down to 1% (the lowest it will go) and that reduced the space dramatically. You can check this by going to System Protection and clicking on Configure. You might also want to check your Pagefile size (swapfile) and Temporary Internet file allocated size. If Win 10 still allows you to do it, make it so you can see all files including "Hidden protected operating system" files. You can do this in Windows Explorer or whatever Win 10 calls it and click on Tools - Folder Options - View tab, and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files". You may get a complaint from windows that this is unsafe but click apply and okay. After you check the pagefile file size in C drive you can recheck that box to hide them again. It is safer to have them hidden. Hope this helps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CEScott For This Useful Post:

jrclen (2015-12-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update-

Strange,

After windows 10 last major update I noticed my backup files where gone!? Ran backup again and everything came out to a normal size. Do not know what the issue was.

Thanks
    If your Windows Backup also includes incremental and/or differential backing up, of which I have never done - so can't tell you how to tweak such backups, your backups will have many versions of many files, all of that adds up.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/