Star Lounger
    Thanks

Video card issue?

I purchased an HP Envy. It has an i7 quad core CPU plus the Intel HD 4600 graphics but I also got the Nvidia GTX 950M dedicated graphics that I wanted. The problem is when I run the WIndows 7 experience my graphics gives me a 5.2 reading which is not good. When I go to the detailed performance it shows only the HD 4600 for graphics and not the Nvidia 950. What gives?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    dingeborgdot,

I'd run a program like Speccy to make sure you got what you paid for. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Its supposed to switch over from the on board graphics automatically, but it doesn't always happen. Make sure the card is properly seated and has the 6 pin connector properly attached. Go into the bios/EUFI and disable the on board graphics manually. Get the latest driver from the card manufacturers site as the one that came with it is probably out of date.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is a laptop. Read the instruction manual and make sure you know how to switch between the two graphics chips.

Go into Device Manager in Windows and make sure both graphics engines are shown. If not, then you do not have a 950M card.

If yes, are there any yellow or red flags on the 950M?...if so try loading the latest driver from nVidia.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    ...The problem is when I run the WIndows 7 experience my graphics gives me a 5.2 reading which is not good...
    Actually a 5.2 reading for graphics performance on a laptop is better-than-average.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.