New Lounger

Keyboard doesn't work after updating to 1511 Windows 10 build

This is more for information for all of you. I was pushed the 1511 update yesterday on my Dell Vostro 470. Everything went well until I powered up my computer this morning and found that the keyboard worked in the sign-up screen but once inside Windows the keyboard did not work. I tried the following, changing the driver for the keyboard (there were 2 listed), deleting the driver and letting it reinstall, and checking for updated keyboard drivers from Dell. No joy. Finally I went into Windows settings to roll back the install. It asked me if I wanted to check for any available updates before I rolled back the system. So I let it do that and it updated quite a few things. After everything installed and a reboot, still no joy. Then I looked at the keyboard setting in Control Setting. I found that if I typed in the repeat rate test box I could see the letters but the repeat rate was super slow. Strange! Coupled with the fact that the keyboard worked on the sign-in screen, it made me wonder if something else was going on. I tried typing in the Edge browser window with no result but if I held down a key, eventually the letters would show up in the window. That brought me to a little known setting Sticky Keys which is available in the Ease of Access settings. So I went into the Ease of Access settings to Keyboard and Sticky Keys was toggled off. Darn! Below Sticky Keys there was a setting for Filter Keys which adjusts keyboard repeat rates! This was turned on. I flipped it to off and now I have normal typing ability in all programs. Don't know why Microsoft has this turned on by default. Not anything I would have ever turned on. But hopefully if any of you fine people run into this same problem my wasted 2.0 hours will save you some time. Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Selee; 2015-12-03 at 09:02.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Selee For This Useful Post:

High Sierra (2015-12-03)