Thanks

Free Office programs - What is best

Does any know the safest free Office program
    I was using Open Office but it was letting virus in

Dave

OpenOffice.Org
    This package actually includes six programs that all use the same engine making them inherently the same and extremely easy to learn and use. The 6 applications included in the OpenOffice suite are: Writer (word processor), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (graphics) and Base (database manipulation) and Math (mathematical equations). Writer can even natively do some things that Word cannot, like open PDF files without the addition of a plug-in or commercial add-on. As the software is open source it is maintained by a large community meaning help and bug fixes are freely available and quickly created. This is perhaps the leading free destop alternative to Microsoft Word/Office.

AbiWord
    AbiWord is a free word processing application very similar to Microsoft Word. It is a full cross-platform program, meaning that you can run it on Linux, Mac OSX and Windows. The software is fully compatible with not only Microsoft Word but also OpenOffice.org, Word Perfect and Palm OS. It has advanced document layout capabilities and can do mail merge as well, which allows you to automatically fill in specific form fields in documents with information from databases and comma separated or tabbed text files. It is a highly useful feature if you have many forms you need to work with at the office. Additionally, the software can be enhanced and expanded with freely available plug-ins that will give it even more features and functions.

Jarte
    Jarte is based on the WordPad Engine, but is still free. There is a paid version of the software that adds on some extra functionality, but the free version is more than adequate and fully compatible with Word and WordPad documents. Features include Windows Vista compatibility, an ergonomic tabbed interface, small resource requirements and quick loading time. It also has built-in spell checking and can export to HTML and PDF files. Jarte allows you to insert images, tables, hyperlinks and everything else that you have come to expect from Word. Jarte contains no ads, trial periods or crippled features and is funded through user purchases of the Jarte Plus version.

IBM Lotus Symphony
    Yes, IBM is giving away a productivity package, for free. Lotus Symphony includes a word processor, spreadsheet program and presentation software. While it was based on an older version of OpenOffice.org, many modifications have been made to the package making it unique now. Lotus Symphony Documents supports the open document format (.ODF extension), Microsoft Office and Lotus SmartSuite files and can also export to PDF. Tables, charts, shapes and graphics are all present as well as the standard text formatting options. The software also contains inline spell checking and correction along with table of contents, footnote, indices and header/footer creation.

Neo Office
    NeoOffice is an office software suite made for Mac OS X users. The NeoOffice suite allows users to view, edit and save OpenOffice documents, PDF files, and most Microsoft Word documents, PowerPoint presentations and Excel spreadsheets. The free edition of NeoOffice canít save documents, but users can open, edit and print documents

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A lot of my clients are older folks and mostly on fixed/limited incomes. When upgrading to the latest computers or OS they may be underfunded so I prefer LibreOffice, also free at www.libreoffice.org. These older folks may have been using Microsoft Works or Microsoft Works Suite and LibreOffice 5 still supports the Works file formats. OpenOffice seems to have dropped that support before version 4 came out, probably after Sun Micro sold it. Historically, OpenOffice had its roots in Star Office.

I put LibreOffice on all my computers even though Microsoft Office and WordPerfect are installed, no issues. LibreOffice seems to work with most of Microsoft Office files, at least the basics, except Outlook for which it doesn't have an E-Mail Client. For that I like the SeaMonkey E-Mail Client and/or OE Classic, both free.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-12-03 at 10:54.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I was using Open Office but it was letting virus in
    I doubt it was OO letting viruses in. More likely you were not running an up to data anti virus program and practising safe hex.
    What makes you think OO was the cause?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thank you
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    A lot of my clients are older folks and mostly on fixed/limited incomes. When upgrading to the latest computers or OS they may be underfunded so I prefer LibreOffice, also free at www.libreoffice.org. These older folks may have been using Microsoft Works or Microsoft Works Suite and LibreOffice 5 still supports the Works file formats. OpenOffice seems to have dropped that support before version 4 came out, probably after Sun Micro sold it. Historically, OpenOffice had its roots in Star Office.

I put LibreOffice on all my computers even though Microsoft Office and WordPerfect are installed, no issues. LibreOffice seems to work with most of Microsoft Office files, at least the basics, except Outlook for which it doesn't have an E-Mail Client. For that I like the SeaMonkey E-Mail Client and/or OE Classic, both free.

Thanks
    It was up to date
    It came as a update and virus protection stop it but still change setting

Dave

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    It was up to date. It came as a update and virus protection stop it but still change setting
    Are you saying that you got an update to OpenOffice that contained a virus?

I assume since you are speaking of updates that this is Apache OpenOffice. Did you get the update direct from their web site or through a third party?

If you like OpenOffice but want to switch, LibreOffice split off from OpenOffice a while back but is quite similar.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Do you really need desktop programs? What about Office On-line or Google Docs (or whatever they are called now)?

Joe

Thanks
    Only need it if some one sends a doc in a newer format
    I have Office 2000 I use ever day
    I will try Google docs

Thank you
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Do you really need desktop programs? What about Office On-line or Google Docs (or whatever they are called now)?

Joe

Thanks
    All office suites will let in viruses unless you have a separate virus program. Some are targeted more than others (Microsoft).

Not free, but... You can pick up a copy of Office 2003 on eBay for less than $30.00. With the compatibility pack from Microsoft, that would let you open files in the new format. (They may still not work if they use new features.) Office 2007 / 2010 is available for less than $100.00. I would recommend 2010.

If you use the new versions (2007+), be prepared for a bit of learning. Office 2003 is very similar to what you currently have.

I have heard praises of OfficeLibre.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Thank you
    I am trying out Libre Office

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    All office suites will let in viruses unless you have a separate virus program. Some are targeted more than others (Microsoft).

Not free, but... You can pick up a copy of Office 2003 on eBay for less than $30.00. With the compatibility pack from Microsoft, that would let you open files in the new format. (They may still not work if they use new features.) Office 2007 / 2010 is available for less than $100.00. I would recommend 2010.

If you use the new versions (2007+), be prepared for a bit of learning. Office 2003 is very similar to what you currently have.

I have heard praises of OfficeLibre.

jwoods
    +1 for LibreOffice

I dropped MS Office a couple of years ago and haven't looked back.

Thanks
    There really is no "Best" only what one uses most and is comfortable with.

My "Best" one is the one that does what I need to do and that I have spent enough time with to do it efficiently.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(