Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

PC turns itself off almost every morning

I have the following system essentially doing nothing but serving as my Plex server. I access it via Remote Desktop Connection for 99% of things and it just sits in a corner connected to the router and a UPS.

The problem is this: The system powers down/shuts down/dies (it goes from operating to not operating) most nights between 1:30 and 2:30 am. I go to bed with it running and wake up to it being off. (I did find that the UPS battery had died, and replaced the battery but it still shuts down whether plugged directly to the wall or via the UPS.) And I've checked the power to that house circuit, other devices connected to it stay up and running so it's not a home electrical issue. And it works fine once I start it up to that point in the morning when it turns itself off (by that I mean, it can sit idle, with no users or activity for the entire day and stay powered up and works fine on demand except at 1 in the morning.)

A check of the event viewer logs tells me that the shutdown was dirty each time, but there is nothing happening in any of the logs that I can see around the time it dies. Which makes sense, everyone is asleep. No Plex activity.

I did a complete reinstall of Windows 10 in November to try and remedy the problem. All drivers up to date. I also substituted new 5G internal hard drives for USB 3 external drives I had been using, I did note that when I was transferring the contents of the external USB 3 drives to the new internal hard drives (something that took 14+ hours each and that I did over night) the system stayed up and running each of those two nights. So when the PC was active, at least for those 2 nights, it didn't exhibit this behavior.

I have set the power settings to never shut down or suspend or hibernate. I just want this to run quietly in the corner.

The power supply is an upgrade I put in last year, a Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900, 80 PLUS BRONZE, 900 Watt Power Supply. It seems to be working fine.

Task scheduler shows Google Update, Macrium Reflect and User Feed as tasks. Nothing scheduled at that time of the morning. Reliability reports don't shed any light.

Other than Windows Pro 1511 64 bit, I've got Stardock Start10, Plex, Chrome, Macrium Reflect, Sandisk SSD Dashboard, AMD Catalyst and LastPass running. For the moment, I turned off scheduled backups with Macrium to see if that was involved. Still shuts down. I do have it set to do a restart when it has an error, but since it's not restarting, that's not being triggered. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Any suggestions on how to figure this out? I can handle the restart in the morning, but if we travel, I'd like to be able to throw a Barney video on the tablet for my son knowing the server was running at home [/FONT][/COLOR]

Thanks

John

System Model Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-970A-UD3

Processor 3.33 gigahertz AMD FX-6100 Six-Core[/FONT][/COLOR]

Display AMD Radeon HD 6670

8 gigs RAM[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Last edited by jmcging; 2015-12-03 at 11:06. Reason: formatting

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I reckon your power supplier does something around that time that drops power for a fraction of a second and the PC power supply can't keep up so the machine turns off. Effectively your UPS is no longer working - test it by pulling the power.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the UPS is working. I just tested it to make sure, and if I flip the power to the room, 2 other UPS's in the room wake up and beep. We'd hear the three of them I thought the UPS was my issue as well when I found the battery was dead but replacing it put the device back in good working order. But appreciate the input.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The fact that the shutdowns are dirty implies the triggering event is external to the machine. Windows hates dirty shutdowns and does everything in it's power to prevent that.

Hard shutdowns aren't as damaging in the era of NTFS formatted disks as with FAT but they still risky and potentially damaging. No modern OS does this willingly.

Thanks
    It could be an overheating issue. Open up your PC and clean out all the accumulated dust with compressed air especially on the processor/heatsink assembly. You also might want to run a memory test program.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree, which is why I'm trying to get to the bottom of things. Just ran sfc /scannow and it says it fixed things (given dirty shutdowns, not surprised) and ensured that bios is set for S1 power mode. Like I said, I ran it one night just on the wall and it turned off and it did it on the UPS and it turned off while nothing else on the same power circuit indicates a power disruption. (I have a charger stand that blinks if the power goes out and comes back, it's a great canary for power issues in case we don't hear teh beeps of the UPSs.)

I am looking into the possible overheating issue. Given the house gets cold now at nights, the idea it overheats doing nothing at 2 AM seems odd, but you never know. So I've put Hardware Monitor on it and will have it log things for me in the evenings. But it's running well below limits at the moment and has never shut down even while 3 or more simultaneous users are Plexing off it. But it's an obvious issue that shuld be addressed one way or the other. Thanks for bringing it up. Appreciate the inputs from all.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Look's like you built this system, so you should be comfortable poking around in it. Have you looked at your BIOS? Most have a feature, when enabled, that automatically turn the system on and off at specified times.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This started life as a CybertronPC purchase that I've upgraded along the way. I took 16G of RAM out of it and put it into into my new PC, which is why this became a server with 8 gigs of RAM. Running the windows memory diagnostic comes up clean.

So the idea of looking at the BIOS brought me to checking out the manual (I know, who reads those) and there is a function that may be germane if I'm having weird power issues. Called AC Back Function, the default is to leave the PC off after a power loss. You can tell it to resume upon return of power. I made a note of this to try tomorrow or later if what I've done today has no effect. It would help identify if it's a power issue because the event logs would exist for the time. But I'll limit that to later, don't want too many changes at once.

I do have hardware thermal control set on in the BIOS to help avoid overheating. Buit there is no auto turn on or off function in there, nor are functions like wake on LAN set up either.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What are the last entries in the event logs prior to you starting it back up in the morning?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The last entries seem to be primarily Information level items dated a few hours before the shutdown. In this past week, the shutdown was around 2 am +- 20 minutes and the logs show nothing worthwhile with a date closer than 2 hours before the shutdown. In Application Security and System logs, nothing above a warning and nothing other than applications running in the time from midnight to the shutdown.

But the overheating thing may be showing itself to be a likely suspect; I did clean teh filters and do some decent housecleaning and I still got a warning on heat after I set that in the bios today. so I'm trying a Dyson fan blowing gently over the box with the case open and it does seem to make a difference. Have to give it more time to see if this is the issue.

Thanks

jwoods
    The problem is this: The system powers down/shuts down/dies (it goes from operating to not operating) most nights between 1:30 and 2:30 am.
    The fact that it seems to be somewhat "regular" makes me wonder if there is not a scheduled task that runs in that time frame that does a shutdown when it's finished.

Nirsoft has a tool for viewing all scheduled tasks...

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/task_scheduler_view.html
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-03 at 16:52.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd agree but task scheduler has nothing running for that time. Other than Windows Pro 1511 64 bit, I've got Stardock Start10, Plex, Chrome, Macrium Reflect, Sandisk SSD Dashboard, AMD Catalyst and LastPass running. For the moment, I turned off scheduled backups with Macrium to see if that was involved. Still shuts down. I do have it set to do a restart when it has an error, but since it's not restarting, that's not being triggered. Not sure where else to look for items that might be running.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the software link. I have that product and some temp measurement products running and will log things if anything happens tonight. Going to pay attention to heat, it's about the only external type event that makers sense. I appreciate all the input, helped me focus on likely items.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just some off-the-wall thoughts...

How do you know that it's between 1:30 and 2:30?

You say that it was OK one night were it was busy all night. What are the power settings for Sleep, Hibernation, etc?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Lounger
    Thanks
    "But the overheating thing may be showing itself to be a likely suspect; I did clean teh filters and do some decent housecleaning and I still got a warning on heat after I set that in the bios today. so I'm trying a Dyson fan blowing gently over the box with the case open and it does seem to make a difference. Have to give it more time to see if this is the issue."

This does seem to point to some kind of overheating problem. I had a desktop a couple of years back that was SUPER sensitive to overheating, and I did the same thing, pointing a small fan into the opened case. I would look closely at the CPU's heatsink/fan. Maybe all it needs is to take the CPU out and clean it, using fresh thermal paste to reinstall it. Then, if THAT doesn't work, look for a new CPU fan. They can lose speed/efficiency over time. Try to get one with the highest CFM rating, so it moves a LOT of air. It's kind of rare, but you've about tried everything else, right?

Good luck!

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast