3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2013 lost "Update Style to match Selection?

My previous Word (2007 and, I think earlier) let me modify the text in a style then right click, select style and then "update <stylename> to match selection". Wonderful - you add another list item, realise that you need more space for the number as it goes double-digit, move the indent and the whole document comes in line. ..... and many more. Change the bullet, add a right tab with dotted leader as an action name etc

I cant find this or simple way of achieving this in word 2013.

Can anyone update me? BTW, telling me how to modify a style in the full dialogue does not help - I do know how to do that!

Mike C

Thanks
    It is gone, and nothing seems to be in it's place. However, long ago I put a Word command on my QAT named "Redefine Style" -- change the formatting as you've described, then click that button.
    HTH Kim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Kim,

Help in the sense of my ceasing to hunt for something that doesn't exist - you certainly have. Thank you.

I am sorry that I don't understand QAT (unless it is Quick Action Toolbar), but would be interested in that magic button. Can you elaborate for me and maybe share the code behind it; I had already looked for a command unsuccessfully?

Thanks

Mike C
    PS I have also fallen foul of win10/ office 2013 macro processing rules; could you include any helpful observations in that area

Quote Originally Posted by kmurdock View Post
    It is gone, and nothing seems to be in it's place. However, long ago I put a Word command on my QAT named "Redefine Style" -- change the formatting as you've described, then click that button.
    HTH Kim

Thanks
    Hey Mike,

There's no coding required. Yes, I am referring to the Quick Access Toolbar. Click File>Options>Quick Access Toolbar (or get there by right-clicking the QAT or Ribbon and choosing "Customize Quick Access Toolbar").

Once there, choose All Commands in the drop down under "Choose commands from:" and scroll down to "Redefine Style". Add it to your QAT. I've included a screenshot from Word 2010, but it's the same in 2013.

QAT customize.png

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Win 10 / Office 2013 macro processing rules (perhaps someone else is and can jump in), but if you describe what's going wrong I may be able to help. (I've run Word 2010, 2013, and 2016 on a virtual pc with W10 and not noticed any particular issues with macros other than deprecated features.)

Best, Kim
    Last edited by kmurdock; 2015-12-04 at 17:40.

Thanks
    Modifying the QAT and Ribbon in Microsoft Word.

It is possible, but not easy, to modify the context menus. I would recommend the QAT route, possibly with a keyboard shortcut as well.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all,

I have just stumbled across what I think MS would say is the answer. Beats me!

On the Home tab, the default ribbon has a "Styles" section. the bottom RH corner has the usual drop down expand arrow. If you hover over that, the last para says you can update styles to match selected text.

Click the drop-down corner arrow and a list of styles comes up. If you Right click the style you are interested in it will offer you the opportunity to change it to the style of the currently selected text.

Welcome back old friend!

Mike C

Thanks
    To show the problem, here is the Text Contextual Menu from Word 2010 (and 2007). It has the Styles line which pops up a minigallery and commands including one to update the style to match the selection.
    2010TextContextStylesUpdate.png

In Word 2013, Ctrl+Shift+S gives you the Apply Styles pop-up with a button to modify, but not update the style:
    00 deleteme 1.png

Otherwise, that is called the Styles Pane and I often keep that docked on the right side of my window with the Navigation Pane on the left side. If you right-click on one the style name for the current style and have modified the text, it will give you the option to update.
    00 deleteme 2.png

I updated my QAT to include both the old styles drop-down from pre-ribbon days and a button to launch that Styles Pane.

00 deleteme 4.png

Note, the Styles are available through the PopUp toolbar, but not the update or modify command.

Text Contextual Menu
    2013TextContextStylesMissing.png

Text Contextual Popup Toolbar
    2013TextContextStylesMissing2.png
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2016-01-24 at 11:51. Reason: Add images of contextual toolbars
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

Mike C (2016-01-23)