Thread: Lpt1

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Lpt1

Over the last few months, roughly 5, I had lost the use of the LPT1 port on my Acer, old but it still has this Centronics connector. This caused the HP Laserjet 6L to be useless on this machine, it behaved fine when connected to a Thinkpad running W-7 and had worked on previous version of W-10.

I had written quite a few feedbacks to the Insider Hub but these persons are not 2-way, they never reply even though I do think that they do consider these feedbacks. Any how, I just got updated to 1511, 10586.17 and for the fun of it, got to try the 6L and lo and behold it works. I should say that, again this time, I went to Device Manger and uninstalled the LPT1 port then clicked on Scan for Hardware changes and voilà, one happy camper.

Never give up. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Over the last few months, roughly 5, I had lost the use of the LPT1 port on my Acer, old but it still has this Centronics connector. This caused the HP Laserjet 6L to be useless on this machine, it behaved fine when connected to a Thinkpad running W-7 and had worked on previous version of W-10.

I had written quite a few feedbacks to the Insider Hub but these persons are not 2-way, they never reply even though I do think that they do consider these feedbacks. Any how, I just got updated to 1511, 10586.17 and for the fun of it, got to try the 6L and lo and behold it works. I should say that, again this time, I went to Device Manger and uninstalled the LPT1 port then clicked on Scan for Hardware changes and voilà, one happy camper.

Never give up. Jean.
    Looking at this page http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...&product=58301 and scrolling down between 1/3 and 1/2 shows the HP Laserjet 6L. There is a note 17 toward the bottom of the page that I quote:
    "17 Parallel and Serial ports are not supported in Windows 8 and newer. A USB converter or optional network accessory is needed to print and install drivers."
    I think I'd try the Ethernet connection to a Router and install it as a Network printer.

jwoods
    I don't think that printer has Ethernet capabilities.

I replaced a LaserJet recently with an Epson to get it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I don't think that printer has Ethernet capabilities.

I replaced a LaserJet recently with an Epson to get it.
    According to that list it does. Look on the back of it for an oversize telephone-type socket, has 8 contacts in it. It's referred to as an RJ45, accepts any CAT5, 5e or 6 cable, straight-through when connecting to the Router. I use an HP Laserjet M1212 and an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 on my Network, any computer I install the software on can use it including my Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, both Wired and Wireless/Wi-Fi.

jwoods
    Yep, I know what RJ45 is...

I didn't see any reference to Ethernet capabilities in the User Manual.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Different make, but my Epson SX425W only has USB as an alternative connection which if I wanted, could plug into the back of the router, but as wireless works fine.....

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good day Berton.

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Looking at this page http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...&product=58301 and scrolling down between 1/3 and 1/2 shows the HP Laserjet 6L. There is a note 17 toward the bottom of the page that I quote:
    "17 Parallel and Serial ports are not supported in Windows 8 and newer. A USB converter or optional network accessory is needed to print and install drivers."
    I think I'd try the Ethernet connection to a Router and install it as a Network printer.
    OOoopps ! But they are ! If you reread my post, you will see that the LPT1 printer is working. You might have looked at the first column only, the next one says : Windows Update to get the driver and I got it fine.

There are no RJ45 connector on this printer, I can use it on my LAN but that goes via the LPT1 provided on the main machine and it has, obviously, to be booted, no need to go beyond the lock screen and this still amazes me, how come ? These machines will still baffle me !

All fine wishes. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello.
    >>> I don't think that printer has Ethernet capabilities. <<<

Right you are, I can use it via my LAN but not W/Ly. One Centronics header and one 120 V AC. That is it. The reason that I like to keep this one going is that it was given to me by my daughter after it quit working for her. I spent +/- 4 hours taking it all apart and together again, about 5 years ago and it is a nice machine, redundancy will not supersede it.

All fine wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    A printserver might be a solution if they really sink the boat on future LPT support,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704066

\
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    A printserver might be a solution if they really sink the boat on future LPT support,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704066

\
    I think LPT/Parallel Port printing has been done in for a few years now but an Add-in PCI card can still be found. Same for a Serial Port [9-pin] card. It's a real same about LPT printers because the DotMatrix were still the best for multi-part NCR printing in spite of their slowness.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton, hello.

For sure, the advances in this binary world has passed by the LPT1 way of getting data to a printer. I find it still valid. Your suggestion of a PCI card had eluded me ! I went to eBay and sure enough, there are hundreds of them available. I will look that way when W-10 does not honour my 6L anymore. So far, so good. Thanks for the suggestion, I have it stored in the back of my cranium.

All best wishes. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Berton, hello.

For sure, the advances in this binary world has passed by the LPT1 way of getting data to a printer. I find it still valid. Your suggestion of a PCI card had eluded me ! I went to eBay and sure enough, there are hundreds of them available. I will look that way when W-10 does not honour my 6L anymore. So far, so good. Thanks for the suggestion, I have it stored in the back of my cranium.

All best wishes. Jean.
    You're welcome.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've heard of instances where a Windows 10 update replaces an LPT1 printer driver with a USB one, rendering it unusable. This seems in line with what you've experienced. I suggest backing up the driver you have now, keeping it safe, and using it if you have another problem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Tony, good morning.

The problem has been solved. Not being too gened up in binary commands, I have a feeling that the LPT1 was not programmed in W-10. Those are the times !

I was able to get it alive by going into Device Manger -> Ports and disabling the LPT1 and then going into Scan for Hardware Changes. That did it and the ON LED on the printer got to shine. I got lucky as this 1998 printer is honoured by W-10, there are thousands of stories of sad events in regards to old devices vis-à-vis HP printers.

I will have to look on my machine to find where this driver is hiding. Thanks.

Edit. For you who "worried" about my printer, I wish to let you know that now, I got a USB to Centronics cable and I can print from any computor, even my Lenovo that has noting but USB ports. It cost $2.98 on eBay with free posting. Hard to beat.

All fine wishes. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-12-07 at 11:31.