Star Lounger
    Thanks

Having to move to Firefox, have issues

Unlike today's earlier poster (wish I could see the forum as I post), I am having to move to Firefox because Chrome is discontinuing support for Vista.

The last time I tried Firefox I imported my Chrome bookmarks with no problem. I exported them from Chrome as an HTML file and Firefox took them in and made them its own -- bookmarks bar folders on the bar, other folders available however it did them then.

Today I didn't have such luck. Apparently I have managed to download the bookmarks, but the only item in the Bookmarks bar (which keeps coming and going away -- any thoughts on this?) is a folder named "From Google Chrome." That folder does indeed contain all of the folders that used to be in my Chrome bookmark bar, but I would like for them to be ranged across the bookmark bar, not in one folder.

I thought the rest of my bookmarks had not made the transition, but when I opened the Firefox bookmarks sidebar I found my other folders, still in a folder labeled "From Google Chrome,", but this one has only the folders that were *not* on the bookmark bar.

Earlier today I tried to move some of these folders into the empty space on the bookmark bar and didn't find a way to do that. Any advice?

I'll save for another post my other questions, such as how to make the text of pages smaller across-the-board without making the text of the Firefox instructions minuscule ...

Thank you for your advice. I'll be getting a new computer with Windows 7 before too long, but the present one is still serving me well and Google is already letting the Vista maintenance slip, if the misplaced images and even-more-frequent freezes are any indication.

jwoods
    In Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks, you can drag items from the right side of the frame, to anywhere on the left side.

So if you wanted to add any folder or shortcut to the Bookmarks Menu, highlight it on the left side, and then scroll down the right side, select From Google Chrome, drag the item to the left, and drop it on Bookmarks Menu.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, still don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    In Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks, you can drag items from the right side of the frame, to anywhere on the left side.

So if you wanted to add any folder or shortcut to the Bookmarks Menu, highlight it on the left side, and then scroll down the right side, select From Google Chrome, drag the item to the left, and drop it on Bookmarks Menu.
    It took me awhile to understand that I was to open the "From Google Chrome" folder on the *right* and move the folders from there back to either the bookmark bar folder or the Bookmarks folder on the *left* (just because Chrome does not work this way), but I did figure it out, and found that it works just like the file manager and I could use shift to select lots of folders and move them. I just needed to adjust my head to it being like the OS instead of like the browser I was used to. Thank you so much.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now I get it!

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post

It took me awhile to understand that I was to open the "From Google Chrome" folder on the *right* and move the folders from there back to either the bookmark bar folder or the Bookmarks folder on the *left* (just because Chrome does not work this way), but I did figure it out, and found that it works just like the file manager and I could use shift to select lots of folders and move them. I just needed to adjust my head to it being like the OS instead of like the browser I was used to. Thank you so much.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can cut & paste the bookmarks if you find it easier. Folders too.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just because Chrome is discontinuing support for Vista doesn't mean other Chromium based browsers are doing the same. The underlying Chromium code used by Google Chrome is open source, so other browsers may choose to continue to support Vista. You would have to contact each one to see what their plans are. This list may be helpful: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...e-web-browsers

For the past year I've been using Chromodo (https://www.comodo.com/home/browsers...et-browser.php), which is similar to Comodo Dragon. It took some getting used to at first because I never used a Chromium based browser before, but now I really like it. It no longer supports Windows XP, but there's been no mention of dropping Vista.