4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8/7/XP Games are gone

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but still kind of annoying.

After going through more than a month of not being able to use Photo Gallery from the Windows Essentials group, everything else from that worked just fine, when I turned on the computer yesterday, updates were installed and now it works! Yay!

However...now Solitaire, Freecell, Minesweeper, etc. do not work. I have been using the versions from Windows 7. I found directions on how to install them for Windows 8 and when I upgraded to W10, they worked just fine.

Now with this update, not only do they not work, they don't do anything. I have tried starting them from File Explorer. I had links to them on my Start menu and they got deleted. When I click on Solitaire.exe, for example, nothing happens. I tried Run As Administrator, which took me to the UAC screen, I clicked Yes, and, nothing.

In addition, I can't even tell you what Updates I received because when I go into
    Settings => Update & Security => Windows Update => Advanced Options => View Your Update History
    I get this message

No updates have been installed yet.

I know updates have been installed in the past. Also, if I go into the old Control Panel, and look up updates, it only shows me updates that were downloaded for Office, nothing for Windows 10.

I realize Windows 10 is free and they charge for the games now, so they have to make their money but it does seem kind of silly and petty. Anyone find a way around it? Thx.

jwoods

Thanks
    The Thurrott article doesn't address any of his issues. The OP knows the games are gone by default. Several users have indicated they were able to re install them by following special instructions. If the OP follows the instructions he used in Windows 8, they should work in Windows 10.

Also the Thurott article just says there is less control over installing Windows Updates. It doesn't address the fact that he doesn't see anything in View Update History.

Jerry

Thanks
    In addition, I can't even tell you what Updates I received because when I go into
    Settings => Update & Security => Windows Update => Advanced Options => View Your Update History
    I get this message

No updates have been installed yet.

I know updates have been installed in the past. Also, if I go into the old Control Panel, and look up updates, it only shows me updates that were downloaded for Office, nothing for Windows 10.
    Sounds like he got the Nov update as others have reported that WU was wiped clean along with certain other things. Just a guess.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Sounds like he got the Nov update as others have reported that WU was wiped clean along with certain other things. Just a guess.
    I agree...which may have removed his games (again) as mentioned in the Thurrott article.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    There have been a couple of updates to the Nov update that he should see.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys,
    I copied over the games from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and when I originally updated to Windows 10, they just came along for the ride. And, they worked just fine. I followed these instructions from How-To-Geek, http://www.howtogeek.com/122145/what...-in-windows-8/
    It was this latest update on Tuesday, I think, of this week. I know I got an update because I had screens telling me that it was being installed. Also, when I looked at the Update screen under Settings yesterday, it showed that there were some new updates to be installed. I didn't write down the numbers, I should have. Anyway, I rebooted and they installed, and now when I look at the Update History, it does show one that installed today, not yesterday. It was KB3103688, which is a Flash Update for IE. That is the only one shown in my history.
    Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else was using the Windows 7 games and had them go away this week.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The following link gives instructions for getting all the Win 7 games installed in Win 10:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-ge...in-windows-10/
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to royw For This Useful Post:

donebb (2015-12-11),lumpy95 (2015-12-09)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Roy, that works great. Don't know why the other stopped working all of a sudden.

It took me a couple days to get back to you because I installed the games but they were not working very well, very herky jerky movement. Then, I noticed other things weren't working right either. Ruh, Roh! What happened? Turns out my mouse decided that would be a good time to start sticking. Man, if it's not one thing, it's another! ;-)

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.