Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 folders not refreshing content after additions or deletions...

I bought a new Dell PC (i5 processor) in September 2015 that included Windows 10 and all was well until a few days ago when folders and sometimes the desktop itself stopped refreshing the content. I can still refresh them manually but that's rather tedious.
    Also, when creating a new folder to save a new item I'm downloading, it takes a full 30 seconds for the new folder to appear. I've Googled for solutions but nothing has worked so far.

I'd really appreciate some advice here if possible.
    Thanks in advance.

jwoods
    Open an elevated Command Prompt (Run as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW.

Press ENTER and see if it finds and fixes any issues.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply but I'm not sure how to open an elevated command prompt. Is it just the "Run" command that I enter SFC /SCANNOW into? Sorry, I've been around long enough that I should probably know these things.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I Googled and found out how to do the command prompt thing but when I did as you suggested it said "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility." So I don't know what to do about that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I did it finally and it's now running a system scan...I'll keep you posted.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. Verification 100% complete...Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

So I guess that doesn't help with my problem.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Did you install any app recently, that added itself to File Explorer - you can check that by right clicking and see if the app added menus and such?

This is a problem that occurs in multiple Windows versions. I had it on Windows 7 and 8 and it is not of easy solution, unless it was caused by an app or some other situation that changed Explorer (such as registry changes).

If you can trace this showing up, to a specific point in time, I would maybe suggest going to a restore point for a date before this started happening.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib, I have just done a system restore but was only able to go back 2 days since I apparently had never previously activated System Restore...I didn't know it was necessary. Anyway, the restore didn't help at all but you mentioned a new app attaching to explorer and yes, a few days ago I installed AIMP, a media player, and it appears in the right-click menus. I'll try uninstalling that and see what happens.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sadly, the uninstall of AIMP didn't change anything after a reboot. Thanks anyway. I wonder why Microsoft hasn't addressed this problem since it's apparently so common in the latest Windows versions?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Photoguy64 View Post
    Sadly, the uninstall of AIMP didn't change anything after a reboot. Thanks anyway. I wonder why Microsoft hasn't addressed this problem since it's apparently so common in the latest Windows versions?

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    This is an old article applying to Windows 7 and 8, but you might try some of the solutions...

http://www.itworld.com/article/28271...t-refresh.html

Note: Before making any changes, do a disk image backup first.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, jwoods, I'll check it out!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    UPDATE: I'm still plagued with the Non-Refresh Bug...very frustrating...I've tried everything I could find with Google, short of re-installing Windows 10...which I'm loathe to do.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Photoguy64 View Post
    UPDATE: I'm still plagued with the Non-Refresh Bug...very frustrating...I've tried everything I could find with Google, short of re-installing Windows 10...which I'm loathe to do.

Any other suggestions, anyone?
    I suffered through this "WEDR" issue (Windows Explorer Does Not Refresh) on an new Win7 PC I bought some number of years ago. I never could solve the problem, so I returned the computer and bought a slightly different one. Occasionally, I will still see WEDR problems even in Windows 10 (64bit). My _sense_ is that the problem crops up when one copies or moves large amounts of data or extremely large files with Windows Explorer. Since you are a photo guy, I am wondering if you transferred large amounts of data to your new pc using Windows Explorer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    This has been an intermittent problem for many versions of Windows. I've never seen a completely reliable solution. Unfortunately, I think you are stuck with it. Maybe you'll get lucky and some patch will fix it for you.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wednr

Quote Originally Posted by CIS57163 View Post
    I suffered through this "WEDR" issue (Windows Explorer Does Not Refresh) on an new Win7 PC I bought some number of years ago. I never could solve the problem, so I returned the computer and bought a slightly different one. Occasionally, I will still see WEDR problems even in Windows 10 (64bit). My _sense_ is that the problem crops up when one copies or moves large amounts of data or extremely large files with Windows Explorer. Since you are a photo guy, I am wondering if you transferred large amounts of data to your new pc using Windows Explorer.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yes, my system is Windows 10 64-bit but only has a 1TB hard drive so I'm never actually moving huge amounts of files, but that got me thinking...a couple of weeks ago I tried doing a full backup to an external drive but it failed because there apparently wasn't sufficient space on the other drive. I knew it would be tight but thought there'd be enough...guess I was wrong. Anyway, I'm wondering if that might have screwed something up in Explorer.

I haven't had much time to work on it lately with the Christmas season in full swing, but hopefully soon...although it's starting to sound like there isn't really a solid fix.

I find it amazing that Microsoft, with all their infinite piles of cash, can't even solve this bug on their very own system! It doesn't say much for their developers. Aren't they a bit embarrassed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast