Thanks

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 KB3116908

Earlier today I attended a customer whose desktop PC recently upgraded from Win7. While troubleshooting the problem the customer was having I ran winver which reported Win10 as "Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.17)", so realised that MS must have just released this new 10586.17 build.

After I returned home this afternoon I checked for updates for my Win10 test desktop system which, upgraded to build 10586.14 last week. WU downloaded and installed "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3116908)". After a reboot I ran winver and it now reports "Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.17)".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Coochin.
    Yes, I got this .17 two days ago and I appreciate it as it allowed me the use again of the LPT1 port, or so I think as my Centronics connected printer is back alive. I have not noticed any other improvement to 10586.

A friend that I IT for has the same problem with his HP 210, it will print but will not scan. Yesterday, I found a reference to this and W-10 will allow limited use of this AiO machine, it will print but that is all. I quote :

--Windows Update - In most cases, this will include the full feature, printer-specific driver in Windows Update for the Windows 10 operating system (OS). For older printers, this driver provides print-only functionality (no scan features). Select printers will also have basic WIA support. Use Devices and Printers to run Windows Update and obtain the latest drivers and updates.

--In-Operating System (In-OS) - Basic, print-only (no scan) driver included in the Windows 10 operating system (OS) to provide limited print software features. Some of the advanced features may not be available. For some printers, these are the only driver options available. Best used when unable to connect to the internet or when no other solution is available.

I got lucky with my 1998 HP Laserjet, I hope that it is a "permanent" fix.

All best wishes. Jean.