5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why move to Windows 10 ?

I see a lot of posts (here and elsewhere) from users who are delighted to have moved to Windows 10 without a glitch, and a few who went back.

Beyond that point, though, is it worth it ?

Specific questions are:

1. What can you do with Windows 10 that you couldn't do with, say, Windows 7 ?

2. What can you still do, but works better ?

I'd be pleased to hear, to help me decide whether to attempt the change.

Thanks

Martin

Thanks
    I bought an HP laptop specifically to try win 10 on and the upgrade was fairly smooth. Personally, Win 10 is ok but I see no reason whatsoever to upgrade the rest of my computers from win 7 to win 10.
    Having said that, eventually win 10 will have to be dealt with and the free offer will be gone by then, so be it. IMHO the only advantage to win 10 belongs to MS being able to control/make ad money from the new system. At this point in time ( with all the problems people have been posting about the new system ), the only advantage is getting a free OS that you will eventually have to have.
    Good luck on your decision.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

MartinM (2015-12-04)

Thanks
    IMO there is no compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 10 other than price; it's free until July '16. I dual boot 8.1 and 10. On my desktop I stay mostly in Windows 10. On my laptop I stay mostly in Windows 8.1. It's kinda "six of one, half a dozen of the other". The differences that exist just don't significantly come into play in my daily use. I use StartIsBack + for my 8.1 Start Menu (very much a Windows 7 Start Menu) and StartIsBack ++ for Windows 10. I have a Windows 10 NAS where I've left the default menu; I'm not actively engaged in the GUI on my NAS enough to make a difference.

You could probably best answer you question by first making a full drive image of your current OS, upgrade to Windows 10 and take it for a test drive. Your full drive image is your plan B for whatever occurs from there.

If you like 10, you can keep it. If its "meh", you can make a full drive image of 10 (to keep the "free" part) and restore your previous OS.

We all have our own reasons for doing the things that we do. You are the best judge of whether Windows 10 is to your liking or not.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The trouble with asking what people think about something like this, is that you will get opinions ranging from 'the best thing since sliced bread' to don't touch it with a barge pole'. bbearen is correct, you have to decide and his suggestion as to how is on the ball. The only thing I would suggest is that you should give it a bit of time as it is different to 7. In my book it's much better; I haven't used 'startisback' or similar (I've never liked the win 7 start menu).

The real problem is that all you youngsters are sooo conservative

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies so far. I am happy to make up my own mind - I wasn't looking for opinions, but facts !

I do drive images all the time and will certainly take the route of imaging 7, upgrading to look-see, taking another image and then, probably, going back.

M

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. I am happy to make up my own mind - I wasn't looking for opinions, but facts !
    The difficulty, as access-mdb stated, is that this type of question will get gobs of the former and very little of the latter

I do drive images all the time and will certainly take the route of imaging 7, upgrading to look-see, taking another image and then, probably, going back.

M
    That will give you the very best appraisal by far!
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Why move? Good question, as I have no intention of doing so. I'll echo bbearen, you decide what's best for you and run with it.

For me, Win7 is supported until 2020. That's over 4 years away as I write this. And it does everything I need it to do, all the software (including some legacy stuff I work on in consulting) works just fine, I'm not going to mess it up by installing a new OS. For my personal use, I set my machines up to dual boot Linux Mint and Win7, and run Linux 90% of the time. So unless I buy a computer down the road with Win10 installed, I'm not taking a chance on my existing machines of breaking my development environment (heard too many horror stories).

Besides that, for me it's personal. Microsoft pushed over 3GB to my machine without me asking for it (the staging of Win10, even though I never "reserved" it), and I'm sorry, but I think that was so pretentious of them. Rude. As others have said, it's my computer, not theirs, so hands off! So no, Microsoft, I will not be upgrading to your new OS on my existing machines.

The suggestion of taking a disk image, then trying out Win10 for yourself, is a good one. If you have the time to experiment like that, bonus, take advantage of it. I don't have that kind of time, nor the inclination.