Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Garrisonville, Virginia
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Recent Windows 10 Update issue continuing

    Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 Home, I have had an issue with Windows Update listing my two network printers (HP Officejet Pro 8630 and HP Deskjet 3520) in the queue to be updated when both already have the latest Windows 10 compatible software that HP offers.

    Initially, both supposed updates remained stuck in the Windows Update queue for a month or more before I downloaded a little tool from Windows that “hides” them, since Windows 10 no longer lets us do that. This effectively removes them from view, but now Windows Updates only downloads another one in time, sometimes the same day. I only have this problem on this one desktop, and only with these two HP items, and nothing else. All other updates appear to function as they should, passing quietly from the queue to function as designed.

    In my frustration over 2 or 3 months of dealing with what to do with the same 2 HP updates that won’t stop coming, I noticed in my “Device Manager” menu that these same 2 HP items are not only listed in multiple places (including “Printers”) but in some of those places (including “Printers”) the same one may be listed twice or possibly a third time if you include one name “Unknown Device.” I only have 2 printers, but there are 4 listed under Printers including 2 indicating they have no drivers connected to them.

    Now then my question. I am not a technician in any way, shape or form, so please bear with me, but this appears to be a conflict between past software reinstallations of one or both of these same HP printer software apps. We did have trouble reinstalling one of them at one time, and this leads me to the possibility of a conflict causing these issues. If I were to uninstall (using Control Panel) both apps again, then go to Device Manager and do likewise with all remaining listing of either printer wherever they may be found, would this cause any further problems than I already have? Can I safely assume that doing this will remove all possible conflicts, and then allow me to do a clean reinstall of both HP software apps?

    PLEASE help me end this frustration. I am not technically trained by any definition, just an old man who took the time to learn how to use (not repair) computers, so please include detailed step-by-step directions for anything you tell me. Thank you in advance for your help.

    David E. Cann

  2. #2
    jwoods
    Guest
    First, try downloading and installing the latest drivers from HP...

    HP Officejet Pro 8630 -

    http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/.../model/5367619

    HP Deskjet 3520 -

    http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/.../model/5162505

    Then, to prevent Windows 10 from downloading and installing updates for your devices, follow the steps in this Tom's Hardware article...

    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2...e-drivers.html

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Garrisonville, Virginia
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    jwoods, As noted in my post, I already have the latest software installed for both printers from HP, so is that sufficient or do I need to replace it? As for your third link, the one for Tom's Hardware, I get a "404 - Page not found" error. I guess I can do #4 link, but is there any need to do so without 1 through 3 above? Thanks for the quick reply anyway, I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    First, try downloading and installing the latest drivers from HP...

    HP Officejet Pro 8630 -

    http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/.../model/5367619

    HP Deskjet 3520 -

    http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/.../model/5162505

    Then, to prevent Windows 10 from downloading and installing updates for your devices, follow the steps in this Tom's Hardware article...

    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2...e-drivers.html

    David E. Cann

  4. #4
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 174 Times in 147 Posts
    When I went to win 10 I had to reinstall the software on my HP Officejet 8100 even though win 10 saw it and provided minimum drivers. After reinstallation, all was fine.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

    decann (2015-12-04)

  6. #5
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Garrisonville, Virginia
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    lumpy95, It took me some time, but I found and downloaded the full software and drivers app that are now installed in my desktop. Before installing them, I completely uninstalled the previous ones using Control Panel. Both before and after the reinstallation, my HP software has always functioned fine and remains doing so, but my continuing concern remains all of the duplicate and "ghost" listings with no drivers listed in Device Manager. In the meantime, as of a day or two ago, Windows Update keeps filling itself with more HP updates that I have moved to "hide" time after time and I can't seem to stop them.
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    When I went to win 10 I had to reinstall the software on my HP Officejet 8100 even though win 10 saw it and provided minimum drivers. After reinstallation, all was fine.

    David E. Cann

  7. #6
    jwoods
    Guest
    The drivers for the HP Officejet Pro 8630 are showing on the HP site as being updated on November 16th, which is after the Windows 10 Fall Release.

    The drivers for the HP Deskjet 3520 are showing on the HP site as being updated on November 9th.

    You might check the dates in Device Manager and see if your current drivers are older.

    Unfortunately, you can't "hide" Windows Updates in Windows 10...you can defer installing them for 30 days if you have Windows 10 Pro or higher. Window 10 Home does not have a built in defer option.

    As far as "extra" devices, "ghost devices", you can try right-clicking on the entry and uninstalling them in Device Manager...but don't delete the drivers.

    After rebooting, open Device Manager again, highight the top entry (which is your computer name), right-click and select Scan for hardware changes. If everything is working correctly, there shouldn't be any.

    Apparently, Windows Update thinks you need updates for your HP devices. The Tom's Hardware link will show you how to prevent those from being installed (for any device).

    Not sure why you got a 404 error on that link...it has worked every time I have clicked on it today.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-04 at 20:34.

  8. #7
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Garrisonville, Virginia
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    jwoods, My current HP software was installed 1 December for one printer and the following day for the other, so I don't understand the need to download and reinstall them once again now when they always have and still do function perfectly. My issue is with Windows Update trying to update them on a VERY regular basis as recently as 2 days ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    The drivers for the HP Officejet Pro 8630 are showing on the HP site as being updated on November 16th, which is after the Windows 10 Fall Release.

    The drivers for the HP Deskjet 3520 are showing on the HP site as being updated on November 9th.

    You might check the dates in Device Manager and see if your current drivers are older.

    Unfortunately, you can't "hide" Windows Updates in Windows 10...you can defer installing them for 30 days if you have Windows 10 Pro or higher. Window 10 Home does not have a built in defer option.

    As far as "extra" devices, "ghost devices", you can try right-clicking on the entry and uninstalling them in Device Manager...but don't delete the drivers.

    After rebooting, open Device Manager again, highight the top entry (which is your computer name), right-click and select Scan for hardware changes. If everything is working correctly, there shouldn't be any.

    Apparently, Windows Update thinks you need updates for your HP devices. The Tom's Hardware link will show you how to prevent those from being installed (for any device).

    Not sure why you got a 404 error on that link...it has worked every time I have clicked on it today.

    David E. Cann

  9. #8
    jwoods
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    jwoods, My current HP software was installed 1 December for one printer and the following day for the other, so I don't understand the need to download and reinstall them once again now when they always have and still do function perfectly. My issue is with Windows Update trying to update them on a VERY regular basis as recently as 2 days ago.
    It was a suggestion, based on the fact that Windows Update "thinks" you need new device drivers. There is no "requirement".

    Your Window Update issue was answered in post #2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •