Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts

Do I need a new Video Card?

Hey Y'all,

I just got my Birthday/Xmas present setup...
    20151204_204851.jpg

Love the 27" monitors but...at full resolution 1920x1080 I get a wide (it doesn't go to the bezel) black margin. At 1600x900, as shown, it fills the monitor right to the edge! So is this a problem w/the graphics card {AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series 1Gb GDDR5 latest drivers}?

BTW: I've loaded the monitor driver from Samsung (that was a bear as it kept erroring out until I got smart, took a while, and killed EMET!).

Actually, I kind of like the size of the text on the windows elements, better for my aging eyes, but I hate not getting what I'm paying for.

What say all you H/W gurus?

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    (There's a final Beta Crimson (not CCC) of drivers available from AMD.)

Is 1920x1080 native resolution of those Samsungs? The borders are horizontal, top/bottom, yes?

Have you tried adjusting the monitor(s) settings? What monitor cable connections are you using (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort... )?

Thanks
    Satrow,

I'm using one w/HDMI the other with DVI-D single link to HDMI.

There are no monitor settings that I can find to expand the display (I had used this setting on my old 23" LG & ViewSonic monitors to fill the screen).

Yes 1920x1080 is the native resolution.

The boarder is completely around the monitor (all 4 sides).

I'm running Crimson but not the latest BETA. I'll give that a try.

Thanks.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Satrow,

Well it's fixed!

When I went back to the AMD website I saw this link for an auto detect & install the proper drivers (don't know how I missed it before it was right there) but that did the trick! Now I'm at full 1920x1080 with the entire screen covered. Not really sure if I'll keep it there or go back to 1280x900 (easier on the eyes) I'll have to experiment it's between more content on the screen at once or less content but easier to read.

Interestingly, it did NOT install the latest drivers! It installed Catalyst w/o .Net! But as they say if it ain't broken don't fixit!

Thanks again for your assistance.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I did an auto detect on my laptop's HD6310 yesterday and saw the Crimson download offered and while initially put off by the word Crimson as a previous driver update put a red hue on the screen which I had to roll back from - I went ahead and was surprised it was only a 12MB download.

It does put a couple of extra bits into msconfig/Startup but hasn't added anything to my start up time.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-12-05 at 06:22.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

I just got my Birthday/Xmas present setup...
    Congratulations on the acquisition ! ! !

I have dual monitors - but they are only 24".

I am sure you will enjoy the 27"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    (There's a final Beta Crimson (not CCC) of drivers available from AMD.)

Is 1920x1080 native resolution of those Samsungs? The borders are horizontal, top/bottom, yes?

Have you tried adjusting the monitor(s) settings? What monitor cable connections are you using (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort... )?
    Satrow
    I came across Beta Crimson was a bit put off by the Beta. How are these different than the regular CCC accompanied ones? And how can there be a final Beta Crimson

Satrow,

Well it's fixed!

When I went back to the AMD website I saw this link for an auto detect & install the proper drivers (don't know how I missed it before it was right there) but that did the trick! Now I'm at full 1920x1080 with the entire screen covered. Not really sure if I'll keep it there or go back to 1280x900 (easier on the eyes) I'll have to experiment it's between more content on the screen at once or less content but easier to read.

Interestingly, it did NOT install the latest drivers! It installed Catalyst w/o .Net! But as they say if it ain't broken don't fixit!

Thanks again for your assistance.
    Which one is the Bday and which is the XMas present?

Where is that link RG? I had a heck of a time getting updated drivers I finally got it done last week, can't what the heck I did.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    The Beta Crimson driver set is the only version of Crimson that will be released for the otherwise CCC only older HD 5xxx and the lower 7 and 8xxx model cards running with W7 SP1 and newer. These do not replace the CCC package (the drivers might even be the same) but are there to offer the chance to use some of the Crimson features.

The AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta is compatible with the following AMD products.
    AMD Desktop Product Family Compatibility ​
    AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 - 8400 Series
    ​AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 Series ​AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 - 7600 Series
    There's a complete list, including APUs and mobile GFX etc. here. I'd say it's beta because there's no way they want to test everything fully with such a large range of different desktop, APU, mobile and OEM version. The more recent and higher numbered your card version, the higher the probability of having more of the Crimson features working as intended, I would guess, OEM versions (from PC/notebook makers eg. Dell branded optional graphics cards) may not support as many features as the retail versions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-12-09)

Thanks
    David,

Here's the link you want for the auto detect and download.

FYI: here's a pic of the new setup.
    20151204_204851.jpg

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-12-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    The Beta Crimson driver set is the only version of Crimson that will be released for the otherwise CCC only older HD 5xxx and the lower 7 and 8xxx model cards running with W7 SP1 and newer. These do not replace the CCC package (the drivers might even be the same) but are there to offer the chance to use some of the Crimson features.

There's a complete list, including APUs and mobile GFX etc. here. I'd say it's beta because there's no way they want to test everything fully with such a large range of different desktop, APU, mobile and OEM version. The more recent and higher numbered your card version, the higher the probability of having more of the Crimson features working as intended, I would guess, OEM versions (from PC/notebook makers eg. Dell branded optional graphics cards) may not support as many features as the retail versions.
    OK gotta see what Crimson features might be. I will watch a vid on the AMD site when I get the chance. I am guessing my AMD Radeon R7 200 Series GPU just makes it into the Crimson crowd.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I was offered an update and it wanted to give me Crimson. I cancelled, too new and really seems geared towards gamers and VR development.

David

Thanks
    here's a pic of the new setup.
    RG, looks like you don't hide the taskbar. Just in case it didn't occur to you, I much prefer the taskbar on the side with widescreens. Vertical space is the premium, that saves a bit.

Alternatively, don't have the taskbar on both screens, & so recover some vertical on one.

Thanks
    Lugh,

To paraphrase..."Space, we don't need no stinkin' space!"

With 2 27" monitors the last thing I'm gonna do is sacrifice useability for space that I don't need. But it is a personal computer so YMMV! As they say... "You say tomato..."

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs