Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

1511 update problem - very weird

Weeks after I did the 1511 upgrade on one pc with no problems, I went for a second one. I 'paused' Defender since I know A/V software can mess this up. I ran it, got prompted to login, and did so.

Looking at it now, the screen redraws every couple seconds. I used task manager to open a command prompt to verify that it is on 1511. TM itself shows the Antimalware service executable running high cpu rates.

Does anyone have any idea of what is happening, and how to fix it?

Thanks!

jwoods
    What antimalware service are you referring to?

If it is doing a scheduled scan, or updating itself, it sometimes will use as much CPU as it can to finish what it's doing.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-05 at 00:23.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    He's referring to this one
    Screenshot (1).png

Click to enlarge ^

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's not doing any viable scan, nor updating. It's been going at least 12 hours at high CPU rates and prevents one from doing anything else at all besides starting task manager. It is what I said; executable running wild, with 10 that would be Windows Defender. No other AV. System was running well before the 1511 upgrade. At one point I was able to open a command prompt and confirm 1511. Happens on ANY login I use (all admin capable so far).

jwoods
    You might try the following...

1. Run CHKDSK

2. In Safe Mode, run SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated Command Prompt. Here's how to get into Safe Mode in Windows 10...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29847...safe-mode.html

3. Download and run the Windows Repair tool at Tweaking.com.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

Note: It is not the big green button at the top.

You will see Download buttons for Direct Download and Mirror @ MajorGeeks.com

4. Do a repair with an in-place upgrade of build 1511.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html

5. Do a clean install.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Alan,

You could, also, do a Reset and keep personal data and just reload user installed software.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Alan,

You could, also, do a Reset and keep personal data and just reload user installed software.
    I'd like to see him get through the first three steps first before doing anything destructive to the current install.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried safe mode. No avail. Did reset losing all apps I'd installed but not files. No avail. Finally see that what I see is Explorer.exe restarting several times per second for no apparent reason. Tried even to do a system image restore (from August) but it needed unspecified drivers - and I don't want to lose files if I can help it, lots stored on that hard drive. I'd like to keep the system startup as simple and clean as possible to see what is nuking Explorer but I can't run MSCONFIG since New Task can't keep focus long enough.

jwoods
    I would try step 3 in post #5.

If that doesn't work, move on to step 4.

You might start thinking about getting your personal data off the hard drive in case you need to do a clean install.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I would try step 3 in post #5.

If that doesn't work, move on to step 4.

You might start thinking about getting your personal data off the hard drive in case you need to do a clean install.
    Yes, Resets & Rebuilds are not 1st things to do, closer to last resort things. One must approach things in the right order.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, Resets & Rebuilds are not 1st things to do, closer to last resort things. One must approach things in the right order.
    It is always Best Practise not to keep data on the OS drive. Or, @ least, be redundant to elsewhere.

jwoods
    It is always Best Practise not to keep data on the OS drive. Or, @ least, be redundant to elsewhere.
    I stopped partitioning drives and separating OS from data a long time ago.

Never had an issue losing anything by doing regular disk images and daily incrementals of personal data.

I think in this day and age, it's more personal preference than best practice.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I was mostly suggesting it is better to do a Rest, keeping data, before straight-away saving data because of doing a destructive reset or a clean install. Sometimes such extremes can be avoided. Other times they are THE way to go rather than wasting time & effort.

Just trying to help Alan out & offer some suggestions or advice. Not a discussion over personal ways or preferences. Just letting someone know various alternative & available choices.

Added a thought. Leave you to it, Alan. G L.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by pbug56 View Post
    I tried safe mode. No avail. Did reset losing all apps I'd installed but not files. No avail. Finally see that what I see is Explorer.exe restarting several times per second for no apparent reason. Tried even to do a system image restore (from August) but it needed unspecified drivers - and I don't want to lose files if I can help it, lots stored on that hard drive. I'd like to keep the system startup as simple and clean as possible to see what is nuking Explorer but I can't run MSCONFIG since New Task can't keep focus long enough.
    Cross-posted on this site...

http://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...ting-loop.html

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Partitioning a single drive for OS and Data doesn't serve the purpose or help the cause @ all. The point is only met if they are on separate drives or the data is in the Cloud.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast