New Lounger
    Thanks

A printer like mine (HP Laserjet 3390) driver question

When I upgraded to windows 10 my printer stopped printing duplex (both sides of paper)
    HP only recommends their Universal Print Driver, but they admit that it does not allow the user of any of the printer features such as duplex printing.
    Somewhere on this forum someone recommended to find a new printer that is similar and does have new drivers.
    I have looked but I am not able to figure out which HP printer is similar.

Does anyone have a recommendation for trying a similar printer driver to the Laserjet 3390?
    Black and White (only) but has scanner and fax.
    I happen to be using windows 10 32bit.

It is a sturdy 10 year old printer that is fast and good quality print, I just hate to throw away a functioning printer.
    (workaround is manual two sided printing).

Eric

jwoods
    If you upgraded from Windows 7, you might try the Windows 8.1 drivers on the HP support site...

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/p...ts.oid=1140613

There are a lot of choices for "all in one" printers available today.

After a lot of research, I replaced a HP Laserjet with an Epson WF-4630 and could not be more pleased.

You may want to look outside the HP family and shop for the features you want, rather than an alternative to the 3390.

If duplex printing is the only issue you have, you might stick with what you have.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may have misunderstood my question. I do have functioning printer that I want to keep.
    There is not a driver for my printer (for windows 10)

My question is: Is there a similar printer from HP that does have drivers for windows 10?
    NOT universal print driver which does not do duplex printing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Did you try the drivers for Windows 8.1 (the link in post 2)? Make sure you select the drivers for your SKU (i.e. Home, Pro, or Enterprise).

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, hello.
    A FWIW here, I found out that my printer was well driven in W-10, the problem was in getting the LPT1 to activate. A disable and a find again solved the problem. I can confirm this as now, as of yesterday, I got a USB to DB25 cable ( Centronics ) connected to a non-LPT1 machine and it was immediately seen and worked, ie: the HP Laserjet 6 L. Why have the LPT1 out of the picture ? It is passé, of course except that some users have the need for it, from an economy point of view, why spend from $50 to $300 when a very valid but dated printer is useable ???

I appreciate your inputs, do keep at it. All best wishes. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Joe, hello.
    A FWIW here, I found out that my printer was well driven in W-10, the problem was in getting the LPT1 to activate. A disable and a find again solved the problem. I can confirm this as now, as of yesterday, I got a USB to DB25 cable ( Centronics ) connected to a non-LPT1 machine and it was immediately seen and worked, ie: the HP Laserjet 6 L. Why have the LPT1 out of the picture ? It is passé, of course except that some users have the need for it, from an economy point of view, why spend from $50 to $300 when a very valid but dated printer is useable ???

I appreciate your inputs, do keep at it. All best wishes. Jean.
    Sometimes you don't have a choice if you want to run a particular OS. If neither the OS vendor or the printer OEM provides a driver then you are out of luck and have to choose the device or the operating system. Some OEMs such as HP are notorious for not providing updated drivers for new OS versions.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    with reference to the use of 8.1 drivers ... I have a Canon USB powered scanner; the most current driver is for Win7. I run XP in a virtual machine on my Win10 home system, and planned to use the scanner that way. Imagine my pleasant surprise to find manual installation of 64 bit Win7 drivers worked. So far, there have been no quirks, even with my bank's Twain check depositing application.

Give (MANUAL INSTALLATION) the older drivers a try.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EricAker1 View Post

Does anyone have a recommendation for trying a similar printer driver to the Laserjet 3390?
    Black and White (only) but has scanner and fax.
    I happen to be using windows 10 32bit.

Eric
    Eric check again!
    http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/p...ts.oid=1140613

32 and 64 listed!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.