New Lounger
    Thanks

unknown files in root directory of C: drive

I have just noticed that there are a large number of files in c:\ with filename extensions that begin with the letters "lnk" but then have additional letters and/or numbers afterward, all as part of the file extension.

I run VIPRE antivirus constantly with automatic updates, as well as Malware Bytes antimalware constantly, with automatic updates. I have recently scanned my computer for registry and cleanup issues using TechUtilities, Revo Uninstaller Pro, and jv16 Power Tools X. I have cleaned everything they have identified, yet these lnk* files remain.

What are these files and how did they get there? What, if anything, should I do about them?

Thanks for any and all help!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you provide more information about the files? Size, date, exact name, contents (open in Notepad).

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

There are 52 files, all in the root of C:\. They range is size from 349 to 7,908 Bytes. The date range is from May 10 to August 31 of this year. The file names are all the name of different files elsewhere on the computer, including the file extension, and with the string ".lnk" plus 1 or 2 lower case alpha characters plus 3 - 5 numeric digits appended to it. For example,

"IMG_1176.JPG.lnkhs256"

I'm concerned about them, but reluctant to delete them without knowing what they are about. They will open with Notepad, but some have non-alphanumeric characters in them.

Any ideas?

jwoods
    It looks like something a repair tool would leave behind.

I would be curious if the date and time these files were created coincide with when TechUtilities or JV 16 ran something.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Back them up then delete them.

cheers, Paul