New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I transfer ownership from my deceased mother's name to mine?

My mother passed away recently. Her computer had Windows XP on it, and was upgraded to Windows 10 prior to that time. I want to transfer ownership to my name the right way so that everything recognizes me as the owner and primary user. Tried the Microsoft webpage, and quickly got lost in the weeds. Can anybody help?

Thanks
    Sorry for your loss.

Can you login?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    1- Also sorry for your loss
    2- Not sure how XP got upgraded to Win 10
    3- As David said, if you can log in you can try going to users and make an account for yourself with admin privileges and then delete your mothers account.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for you loss, Can you tell me a little bit more about what you are trying to take ownership of? Is it the actual computer that you want or access to your mother's local PC data, Or are you trying to take over her Microsoft account, or is it just file permissions and if so what files or folders? Or is it something else?
    Last edited by The Villain In Glasses; 2015-12-06 at 16:55. Reason: more detailed queston

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want the 5 part key you enter when you install Windows to be transferred from her name to my name, just like what would be done if somebody bought the computer as is. I have full access to everything now, but as far as the computer knows, I'm her. Her name pops up in places where it should be mine, etc. Oh, and I meant to say Win 7, not XP.

In the old days, you could find the product key in the registry and edit the name, but I don't think that works in the newer versions. Did the key change when the free upgrade to Win 10 happened, or is it still the key I used when I installed Win 7?
    Last edited by Rifter; 2015-12-09 at 00:53.

jwoods
    You might try these steps from How-To Geek...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...er-in-windows/