3 Star Lounger
    Lewes, East Sussex, Sussex, United Kingdom
    Thanks

File permission denied

I am having a problem opening a Microsoft Access database accdb file on my D: drive. It was working fine until recently when I upgraded to Windows10/Office 2016. Now all I get is : "File permission denied".
    Bizarrely all the other Access databases in the same folder are completely accessible - apart from this single one.

I have tried renaming it, taking a copy of it, changing the security permissions, changing ownership, logging on as Administrator – but nothing seems to work. It appears to show in the Security tab of Properties that as user Nick I have full control of the file, and I can edit those permissions, but still I get “File permission denied”. It’s very frustrating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Nick

jwoods

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apologies - I did not realise the sites were linked.

Unfortunately no replies on either thread.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The sites are not linked, we have a rule against cross posting - most forums frown on it. http://windowssecrets.com/forums/faq...n#crossposting

Have you checked that everyone has full access to the database - right click, Properties > Security?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    In some strange way, could that file also be in use by another function of MS Access and/or another program? Just fishing, I'm probably on the wrong river.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the Security tab & everyone has Full Control of the file.

When I try to do anything to it however, I get the message "You require permission from NICKBODD-PC\Nick to make changes to this file." I am logged on as Nick and my Pc is called NICKBODD-PC. The only possible problem I can see is that if I go through Control Panel/System the PC is named "nickbodd-PC", and I cannot change that - the OK button is greyed out. Might that be significant ?

Nick

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodders View Post
    Paul

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the Security tab & everyone has Full Control of the file.

When I try to do anything to it however, I get the message "You require permission from NICKBODD-PC\Nick to make changes to this file." I am logged on as Nick and my Pc is called NICKBODD-PC. The only possible problem I can see is that if I go through Control Panel/System the PC is named "nickbodd-PC", and I cannot change that - the OK button is greyed out. Might that be significant ?

Nick
    In Properties > Security click on the Advanced button, and then click on the Owner tab.

Click on Edit, then Other Users and Groups.

In the Select User or Group Window, click on Advanced, then Find Now.

Scroll down in the search results and select your user ID. Click OK, and OK again.

Back in the Owner screen, click on the user ID you just added, and click Apply. Click OK, and OK again.

Try opening the Access DB.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried that but with exactly the same result - I still cannot open it.

jwoods
    You might try this from How-To Geek...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

I have used it in the past under similar circumstances.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Solved

Just to let you know that I finally solved this problem by starting the PC in Safe Mode. This then allowed me to copy the file to another folder & everything worked again.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions

Nick

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Some program must have been holding the file open, starting in safe mode prevented that program running.

Thanks for the update.

cheers, Paul