New Lounger
    Thanks

What happened to administrator privileges?

I recently upgraded to Win10 after encountering error code 80030001 (if I remember the error correctly) which was said to be an error saying I didn't have authority to do that kind of change.

I am THE ONLY person who uses this PC and I wound up re-installing Win7 then installed Win 10 when the multitude of suggested fixes didn't change a thing.

Everything seemed okay as emails that never used to show pictures (surveys, etc.) started showing pictures again.

I was able to run Citrix software w/o the annoying "save" windows popping up with the "save and run" option grayed out.

About the only software of any relevance I installed was Kaspersky.

It seems I am back to where I was in Win7 with Win10.

The user window says I am an administrator, but that seems to be in name only.

I have 2 questions:

1) What could have caused the change ??
    2) How can I tell if I have TRUE administrator privileges ??

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    This was a design change which started with Vista and has continued on from there. Your account may be a member of the administrator group but you still do not have the unfettered access and privileges that you did in the XP days. Only the builtin Administrator account, which is disabled by default, has full system access. That is why you see the UAC prompts when you do something that may change system files. Under normal usage users don't need unfettered access to the system (which you are calling true administrator privileges).

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You do have true admin privileges via UAC, which allows you to install software, change system settings etc.
    What is it you think you are missing?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    "...I recently upgraded to Win10 after encountering error code 80030001 (if I remember the error correctly) which was said to be an error saying I didn't have authority to do that kind of change..."
    PaulT, perhaps a more accurately-aimed question would be: exactly what is the change, or what are the changes, you, datadog, are trying to make?
    [Without the help of such tools as Ultimate Windows Tweaker, the Trusted Installer and the built-in Administrator accounts reign supreme.]
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517/Paul T/RolandDS --

Thank you for your quick replies.

I am trying to figure out what changed since I re-installed Win7 then installed Win10.

As I mentioned:

Everything seemed okay as emails that never used to show pictures (surveys, etc.) started showing pictures again.

I was able to run Citrix software w/o the annoying "save" windows popping up with the "save and run" option grayed out.

Both of those things were happening when I got the Win10 install error mentioned in my original post.

None of them happened after the Win10 install until recently.

I am really just trying to find out if whatever privileges I had with the re-install(s) were lost/changed somehow.

The Outlook thing is particularly unexplained as it worked find for almost a month.

I took my time installing anything except Kaspersky and Malwarebytes.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If you had your A/V software running when you upgraded that could've caused a problem.

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are you saying your software (mail, Citrix) was fine immediately after the W10 upgrade, but now it's not working?
    When did it stop working and did you install anything around the time they stopped working?
    Have you run the Windows system file check "SFC"? Open a Command Prompt as admin by right clicking on the Windows flag in the left corner. Type: sfc /scannow

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517 / Paul T --

I hadn't installed any A/V software prior to the upgrade -- I installed Win7, updated it, and then installed Win10 and installed what ever update(s) it required.

I then installed my A/V software (Kaspersky) and everything was fine for a few weeks.

There is nothing that doesn't work, it just isn't working as it did before as I mentioned in my original post.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Also -- I forgot to mention -- the SFC scan didn't find any problems.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What happens if you temporarily disable Kaspersky?

cheers, Paul