New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 file search of Google Drive on SSD

Windows search has served me well. I store my data (photos, video, music) on a separate disc D:, C: is a SSD I installed with the system files on it. When I installed Google Drive it took my documents off D: and put them on C: which is not what I wanted but had no choice. But windows 10 will not search that Google Drive no matter what I do to the indexing settings. Windows search works fine on the data drive. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    I did the same as you, i.e. installed an SSD in place of a much larger separate disk I use solely for data storage. I had the same issue with the Google Drive client as well.

Have a look at Change Google Drive Default Folder Location in Windows and/or How to Change Google Drive Default Folder Location on Windows. Both describe how to move the default Google Drive default folder's location.

Hope this helps...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

russell shelton (2015-12-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that info on the Drive Folder Change Location, Rick. If my 256 gb SSD, which is 60% full, gets any fuller, i'll be looking to offload Google drive to my larger data HDD. But I still wonder about how to get Win 10 file search to search through Google Drive which is on my C: drive SSD? Or is that part of the walled garden syndrome? I did go to drive.google.com and Search there worked beautifully. That's not too bad of a work around.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Is the Google drive folder included in the search index? Open Control Panel, type "search" in the search box, click on "indexing options"

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Followed your instructions JoeP517, to get to indexing options and yes it is included there but excluding system files. I have been getting to the indexing options another way.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Did you add the location? Have you forced the index to be rebuilt?

It could be that the data is in a proprietary format and needs what is called an ifilter. If that is the case you'd have to check the Google site.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

russell shelton (2015-12-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517
    The location had been added earlier but I did force the index rebuild. No luck though in getting Win 10 to search it though.

"Windows 7 doesn't index Google Drive folder?" used this search string in Google and found lots of people with same issue. They said to try several things, check and uncheck some boxes and it didn't work for me. they also said to go to folder properties / security / advanced and ensure inheritance is set. I did go there and it was set. Rebuilt , still no success.