Thanks

Terabyte's Bare Metal Boot [and Caligula]

bbearren: I believe you use Terabyte's Bare Metal Boot, correct?
    And this topic is for any-every/body familiar with TeraBytes' Bare Metal Boot, Caligula, and other boots. Even though I can read TeraByte material, I'm not sure I understand what I'm reading.
    Do any of you have any text or doc file of how to make:
    -- a bootable DOS and/or a bootable xxxPE and/or a bootable Linux
    -- on both USB 8GB flash drives and on DVD
    I hoping to be able create bootables that will take me to a prompt, and let me pick or type in at the prompt the name of a utility I want to run.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-12-08 at 12:19.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Roland, I've used RUFUS very successfully to create bootable USB drives. It's tiny, fast and free. (It's been a long while since I last created a bootable CD or DVD...)

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Rick, I left out a very important sentence, I just now added it into the OP; it might or might not change your nice reply
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Roland, in that case... have a look at SARDU (which I've used and had some success with. Note that USB creation became more unreliable as I added more and more ISO images to it ... but I was trying to create a 32 Gb USB stick with every Linux and Windows ISO I could get my hands on. ) or XBOOT (which I was aware of but have never used). Have a look at Insert Multiple ISO Images Into Single Multiboot USB / ISO File With XBoot for more info about actually using XBOOT. I think I'll try to find the time to have a look at it myself... 'cos it looks like it's better supported than SARDU.

For a review of some of these, have a look at How To Install Multiple Bootable Operating Systems on One USB Stick. (The author got YUMI to work... I didn't. )

Bear in mind that my testing/experimentation was nearly three years ago so hopefully these utilities have matured a bit since then.

If you go the USB route (the 'read' time is faster than using a DVD) then you should also think of making a backup of the USB drive. Have a look at How to Create Backup Image of Bootable USB Drives?.

Hope this helps...

EDIT - I've just found my SARDU USB stick and the folder I created it from. It was a 16 Gb USB stick (not 32 Gb) and I managed to install 33 ISOs and 1 IMG file (a total of 9.8 Gb) before I could no longer successfully create a fully working multi-boot USB stick three and a half years ago.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-12-08 at 13:33. Reason: Added additional info

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-12-16)

Thanks
    RickC, I saved all your links either as complete htmls or as downloads You gave me lots of good information and a few very good tools!

Thanks
    Roland if you find a Windows PE boot disk that can be used to run an arbitrary utility please post. (except that chinese co. forget the name)
    To setup a usb w/ multiple isos to boot I use YUMI.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    If I ever find a way with any PE, Win, Linux, DOS, etc -- I'll post success