New Lounger
    Thanks

File Search and Destroy

I am having a reproducible problem when I use the Explorer "Search" feature to find a group of files to delete. When I get the results (i.e. find all files like *.scc - SourceSafe files). I select a group of these (20 or so) and hit the "delete" key. I get the following error message:
    "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk" If I select them one at a time, they delete just fine. See attached Word doc with screen shots.

Has anyone else eXPerienced this?

R
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Search and Destroy

Ok, this may sound like a Stupid Idea, since you can delete the files individually, but are you logged in as the Administrator (or with Administrator rights) when you try the mass deletions? If not, the additional rights of being the Administrator could help (depending on your setup, et. al.)

Eric Sanders

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

not exactly and not in the OS search but Outlook2002's find utility suffers from a similar problem.

You mention scc files. I wonder if the install of VS or dev tools changed a file? Have you tried a repair of the OS?

how are you selecting and deleting the files? I'm wondering if the selection is losing focus and that is the problem.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen this problem across all versions of Windows but it rears its ugly head more in the NT-based line of which XP is a member. There is indeed a refresh problem (prove it) and for whatever reason doing file operations from the search dialog (never in a million years) seems flaky at best.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you, but at least you know that you're not the only one. The only thing that I can suggest is that XP thinks that the files are in use. It can happen if you don't wait for the search feature to stop completely, or if you have indexing turned on.
    -Mark