Thanks

Despite-windows-10-windows-phone-is-doomed-idc

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I will keep using mine and buying other Windows phones, when I need to. I do hope I never have to jump to Android, that would be a veritable catastrophe.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I switched to an Android phone because of a single app I needed/wanted at the time. It's a slightly larger phone, better built, far larger selection of apps, etc, etc. Everything about it is better, but...

--I don't really use it for anything other than phone calls 90% of the time
    --Slightly larger = slightly bulkier, especially in the pocket
    --There is not a single app that I can't really do without
    --I am sick to death of the 100+ apps that are pre-installed and I don't want and can't be removed and constantly need updating

I'm seriously thinking of switching back to my old Nokia Win8 phone.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I switched to an Android phone because of a single app I needed/wanted at the time. It's a slightly larger phone, better built, far larger selection of apps, etc, etc. Everything about it is better, but...

--I don't really use it for anything other than phone calls 90% of the time
    --Slightly larger = slightly bulkier, especially in the pocket
    --There is not a single app that I can't really do without
    --I am sick to death of the 100+ apps that are pre-installed and I don't want and can't be removed and constantly need updating

I'm seriously thinking of switching back to my old Nokia Win8 phone.
    I really don't use many apps, at all. Weather, Authenticator, Here Maps and Drive, email, of course, a twitter app, Skype, the handy calculator, then phone calls and text. I love Windows Phone UI, the robustness and performance. I really don't need anything else and would hate going into Android. I have an Android tablet, bought as an ebook reader, really, and I can't stand the OS and the slowness of it all.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I actually have an inexpensive Android tablet that I got for a specific project last year. I was going to sell it when the project was over but the cost was low enough that it didn't seem worth it. Since the couple Andriod apps I do use from time to time don't need to be on a phone (that was my biggest mistake when I got the phone), there's really no reason why I can't move them to the tablet.

For that matter, I can just swap the SIM card between the two phones and use the one that suits my needs. I'm one of those oddball types who doesn't have a data plan. If there's WiFi where I am then I use it or I simply do without - it's just not that important to me.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    I suppose that's not a bad strategy. I also have my bank app on the tablet, but it doesn't get used much... I can do pretty much everything on the bank's website, anyway. I do hope they keep Windows Phone alive, even with a small market. Windows 10 can maybe inject some life into it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I actually ran into an old (geekish) friend last evening and noticed she had a WinPhone when she went to check her calendar. I really expected her to have a iPhone or Andriod because she lives on her computer and smartphone with her business. She told me that she had tried both and just didn't like them.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I actually ran into an old (geekish) friend last evening and noticed she had a WinPhone when she went to check her calendar. I really expected her to have a iPhone or Andriod because she lives on her computer and smartphone with her business. She told me that she had tried both and just didn't like them.
    Well, it's hard not to really like the Windows Phone UI. I simply cannot even consider going back to the "old" icons filled screen. I love my tiles . It just feels so odd whenever I use the Android tablet - I end up using it mostly to test my websites on a smaller screen .
    Rui
    -------
    R4