4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Selecting a particular instance of Windows Explorer from the Task Bar

When several instances of Windows Explorer are open, Windows 7 displays a single Task Bar icon with extra lines on one side, making the button look like a stack of buttons. So far so good.

If I want to open a particular instance, I float the mouse pointer over the icon. Windows displays information about each instance, and I click the one I want.

On some computers, Windows displays the instances as a list of pathnames. This is lovely; I can tell which one I want at a glance.

On other computers, Windows displays the instances as a row of thumbnails with truncated pathnames above them. This is completely useless; the thumbnails are too small to read, so they all look the same, and the truncated pathnames usually conceal the information I need to pick the instance I want.

How can I configure Windows so that it displays the list of pathnames all the time?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    J,

1. Right click on the task bar.
    2. Select Properties.
    3. Set as shown below.
      TaskBarOptions.JPG
    4. Click Apply.
    5. Click OK.

Once set like this you should see: (click to enlarge)
    MultiWindowsw.JPG
    Note this was on a 15" laptop screen.

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-12-08 at 19:38.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

jwoods
    In Folder options > View, check the box Display the full path in the title bar.

Thanks
    In Win 8, if you hover the mouse over any of the thumbnails the whole window springs into view - move the mouse and that view disappears. Does this happen in Win 7?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I appreciate everyone's attempts to help, but we're not there yet. I hope that at least one of these approaches will solve the problem if we can pursue it.

RetiredGeek, "Always combine, hide labels" is actually the current setting on the installation that I need to change. I tried the other two settings, but they didn't help. They both made the Task Bar display a separate button for each instance, but the button doesn't display enough information to be useful. When I float the mouse pointer over the button I get the thumbnail with no pathname at all. If I move the pointer over the thumbnail and hover I get a pathname, but this is really just a variation on the technique I use now (see below), which I'm trying to eliminate.

jwoods, that too is the current setting. I tried unchecking the box and got the name of the last directory in the pathname instead of a truncated full pathname. That's not really an improvement, because the distinguishing feature I'm looking for is rarely the last segment of the pathname. (Different windows point to directories that are two or three levels down in different but identically structured parts of the file tree.)

access-mdb, that's what I'm doing now, and am trying to avoid. If there were only a couple if windows it would be not be very inconvenient, but I usually have three or four. I would have more if this problem didn't make that many instances unmanageable!
    Last edited by jsachs177; 2015-12-09 at 14:53.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    In Folder options > View, check the box Display the full path in the title bar.
    That is Classic Theme only, that may be what is making a difference in the display on the different computers.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    That is Classic Theme only, that may be what is making a difference in the display on the different computers.
    Correct.

One of several things to try.

Thanks
    "...How can I configure Windows so that it displays the list of pathnames all the time..."
    jsachs
    Yes, I remember now what you mean; I cannot now remember which computer[s] I've seen the full pathlines, however, on my desktop, I too only see button with a terse title by each one. If I run across the computer, I'll try to find out what setting to duplicate.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

jsachs177 (2015-12-11)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Setting the Classic theme fixed it. Thank you!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsachs177 View Post
    Setting the Classic theme fixed it. Thank you!
    You are quite welcome!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.