Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8 vs. 8.1 system-image backups

I just serviced a Windows 8.1 and then created a system image backup using the PowerShell procedure according to How to create and restore system image backups on Windows 8.1
    http://www.howtogeek.com/167984/how-...n-windows-8.1/
    So far so good.
    However moving on to creating a recovery drive doesn’t appeal to me if I understand it right
    --- The computer was originally Windows 8 and was upgraded to 8.1
    --- It appears to me that if a system image recovery is needed, it will recover as Windows 8

I use MR Free on my Windows 7 computer: will it work as a full system image backup and restore as Windows 8.1?

Back to the recovery drive, if I create one will it allow me to get back to a system restore, command prompt or anything else other than the aforementioned system image backup/restore that would end up back to Windows 8?

With all of that said, do Windows 8.1 computers that were not originally Windows 8, do they have a "normal" system image backup along with its recovery drive?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post

I use MR Free on my Windows 7 computer: will it work as a full system image backup and restore as Windows 8.1?
    YES!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-09)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    With all of that said, do Windows 8.1 computers that were not originally Windows 8, do they have a "normal" system image backup along with its recovery drive?
    Don't know, only ever use 3rd party backup so I can recover to bare metal if required.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with 3rd party backups. MR Free has been mine. I also want to check Aoemi one of these days. Is there another free 3rd party backup I can use? I have 3 Win7 computers and I'd like to see how the various back up programs work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    cmptrgy,

You could try EaseUS To Do Backup.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-09)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have used lots of backup programs over the years and they pretty much all do the same thing. The difference is that they save the backups in a proprietary format, so once you've use one you have to keep it until you no longer want those backups.
    If you are happy with MR, stick with it.

cheers, Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-09)

jwoods
    Gizmo's Freeware has a list, with reviews...

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...g-software.htm

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-10)

Thanks
    If I am understanding your question correctly, what you want is to create a recovery drive and tell it do not include an image.
    Then when you need to do a recovery, connect the external drive with the the image you created (it needs to be in the root of the drive, in its original folder not a folder you created).

Then boot from the recovery drive, navigate through the menus to get to System Image Recovery, and it will automatically find the image so you can restore it.

You can do a dry run to test this without actually restoring the image, just cancel it at the end.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vincenzo For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-11)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My intent is to create a system image backup
    Windows 8.1 doesn't have a standard system image backup but there are a couple of workarounds one of them being the mentioned PowerShell procedure.
    Then creating the recovery drive to access troubleshooting procedures including restoring the system image backup that was created
    However, there's a gotcha situation involved:
    --- The computer was originally Win8 and was upgraded to Win 8.1
    --- I lost the website I found but it reported the system image recovery will revert back to Win8

EDIT: I prefer 3rd party backups as recommended. There's nothing to "fudge"; just use the proper procedures vs. Microsoft on whatever they are doing.
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2015-12-11 at 14:45.

Thanks
    Win 8.1 does have system image backup. It is located in Control Panel>File History.

And yes, system image recovery may revert back to Win 8 unless you direct it to use the image you created.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Win 8.1 does have system image backup. It is located in Control Panel>File History."
    I saw that but according to Windows 8.1 for Dummies
    There is great information explaining File History which is easily understood for backing up everything in your main folders: Documents etc.
    But where does the System Image backup come into the picture? Maybe I missed it but I don’t see anything whatsoever for creating a system image backup.

Thanks
    Once you open File History, you should see a link in the lower left that says System Image Backup.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Vincenzo For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-12)

Thanks
    It's probably a good idea to keep in mind that when recovering a computer using a System Image, it will allow you to pick from images that are stored in the root of drives that are attached, or networked drives. The Refresh and Reset functions also restore from images but they use a default image (which can be changed) and you get no choice of images when you are restoring. That is what I suspect the article you referenced in your first post was referring to.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Once you open File History, you should see a link in the lower left that says System Image Backup." Thanks again Vincenzo. Too bad the articles I found and the couple of books I referred to didn't include that. I would have checked out File History if I would have had even an idea it was worth doing so but my focus was on where is System Image backup in Windows 8.1.

I just created a recovery drive also.
    But now this brings me back to one of my original concerns:
    Since the original OS was Win8 but has been updated to Win8.1, if I have to do a system image recovery, will it revert back to it's original Win8?
    --- I know I didn't word it exactly like that but that is what I need to know

Thanks
    When you go to recover it with the newly created drive, you need to first make sure that the image you created is sitting in the root of a external hard drive or flash drive with its default, unchanged name - WindowsImageBackup.

Then boot the drive, navigate through the menus to get to the recovery section, and it should search and find that image and offer it to you. You can confirm it by the date and time that it says it will restore to. It will not give the option to retain any of your user files though, so be sure to copy them off first.
    If done as above, it will restore the computer to the state it was in when you made the image, and you will retain the "free" upgrade.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Vincenzo For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-13)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast