Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

More "death knell" for WinXP

Worked on a client's computer yesterday, said she couldn't access AARP's online Sudoku game. Turned out she needed a newer version of Internet Explorer but she had version 8 and there is no upgrade to 9 or 10 for WinXP. New computer time.

Thanks
    Soooooo, ...instruct her to use another browser.
    NOBODY in their right mind should be using IE 8 or 9.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

DrWho (2016-01-05),Fascist Nation (2015-12-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah - like Firefox. Take the IE icon off of the desktop and put the one for Firefox in its place. No "Death Knell" here for Win XP. Just too bad that IE-8 can't be uninstalled.

Thanks
    Here is some information about removing IE8 from XP.

Two caveats:
    * Uninstalling IE8 will put you back to whichever version of IE was there before. In other words, you will still have IE installed in XP.
    * It is possible that you will first have to uninstall XP SP3 before uninstalling IE8.

Even if you do uninstall IE8, you'll still have IE functionality installed, running in the background, because beginning with IE4, IE has been hardcoded into Windows. Not sure if that's still the case with Windows 10.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-12-09 at 16:03.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Here is some information about removing IE8 from XP.

Two caveats:
    * Uninstalling IE8 will put you back to whichever version of IE was there before. In other words, you will still have IE installed in XP.
    * It is possible that you will first have to uninstall XP SP3 before uninstalling IE8.

Even if you do uninstall IE8, you'll still have IE functionality installed, running in the background, because beginning with IE4, IE has been hardcoded into Windows. Not sure if that's still the case with Windows 10.
    Yep, and that's exactly why I said that it's "just too bad that IE-8 can't be uninstalled".

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it would be IE6. Far worse than IE8. Bottom line is just don't use it ever.

But you can lose IE by slipstreaming XP using nLite. I honestly do not think it removes everything because I am not certain that is possible, but it prevents its access by the user.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think just going to Add/Remove Programs and Add/Remove Windows components and "removing" Internet Explorer removes most if not all references to IE, even with IE8 installed. Stealth mode; still there but out of active commission.

Just be sure Chrome or Firefox or another alternative is already installed of course or the process will probably have to be reversed temporarily to go fetch them.

jwoods
    Interesting stats on browser market share...

https://www.netmarketshare.com/brows...=2&qpcustomd=0

IE8 ranks 3rd.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Instead of changing your browser, another solution is to change your source of Sudoku.

Pappocom Sudoku is now free, from this link - http://www.waynegouldpuzzles.com/sudoku/ - serves up an unlimited supply of unique Sudoku puzzles, without even having to go on line.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Worked on a client's computer yesterday, said she couldn't access AARP's online Sudoku game. Turned out she needed a newer version of Internet Explorer but she had version 8 and there is no upgrade to 9 or 10 for WinXP. New computer time.
    Way too much BS on tha AARP site IMHO.
    Try:http://www.komoroske.com/sudoku/Best I have found!
    And all the other advice to use another browser as well.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't see why the client needs a new computer just because IE is not fit for purpose. You can remove it as a Windows component; that removes it from the Start Menu, which is enough for most non-computer-savvy people.

Just change browser is all you need to do.

jwoods
    No need to uninstall IE...it can be disabled.

See this article from Susan Bradley in the section Disable Web browsing...

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...drops-support/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-12-16)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    No need to uninstall IE...it can be disabled.

See this article from Susan Bradley in the section Disable Web browsing...

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...drops-support/
    Just one caveat with that: you need IE if you want to manually check for updates (Windows XP updates may have finished, but updates for other Microsoft programs have not).

Thanks
    XP is like a well cared for antique auto. A little TLC will keep it running as long as the owner wishes.
    And there's no reason why XP can't run today as good or better than it did 15 years ago.

I have several old XP PC's here, that I keep updating and pampering like an antique car, and they all just keep on running like a champ.

I'm currently updating an old HP, built in 2000, with XP on it. I just upgraded Firefox tonight. And, the PC has a wireless card in it, with a little 4" antenna on the back. As soon as I turned it on tonight, for the first time in months, it came right up, and went right on the internet as fast as any new PC. Actually faster than some.
    It's running XP Pro/SP3 with only 512 mb ram and a 160GB IDE hard drive.

The secret to getting performance out of an old PC is don't overload it with TSR's, and definitely minimize the number of Services running in the background.

I have a lot of fun with my old XP PC's. XP was just so simple to tweak, tune and work with.
    It accepted Firefox 43 without a whimper. IE is just a memory!

Y'all have a great 2016, Y'hear?

The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2016-01-05 at 19:42.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

XPDiHard (2016-03-21)

jwoods
    What are you using for AV/AM protection?

This article compiled 2 years ago indicates that many vendors could be dropping support in 2016.

https://www.av-test.org/en/news/news...tect-xp-after/
    Last edited by jwoods; 2016-01-05 at 19:58. Reason: Added link to AV-TEST article.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast