Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Death knell for Vista?

A client asked Monday why she couldn't access a travel site to check her tickets and got a message about needing a newer Internet Explorer. She is running Vista and has the latest IE available, version 9. New computer time.

Thanks
    Nobody should be using internet explorer 9, I mean NOBODY.
    Chrome would be a suitable replacement in an instant where in the OS the browser will not update to the latest.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Well, people should really move from these outdated operating systems. If they don't want to, situations like the ones you report will become more frequent.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    That's the exact situation on some of our XP and Vista work computers.

The antiquated IE is the default browser on these systems that many websites aren't accessible, or are so laden with code that IE
    has difficulty with the browser frequently freezing up, or just won't load at all.

That's why I say that nobody in their right mind should ever use them. There is just no fix.
    If your stuck on antiquated systems like XP or Vista then one really does need a third party browser.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Nobody should be using internet explorer 9, I mean NOBODY.
    Apart from those unchangeable systems which have been written assuming that the browser is, and must be, IE9.
    I wonder whether I know anyone who has this situation...?!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    A client asked Monday why she couldn't access a travel site to check her tickets and got a message about needing a newer Internet Explorer. She is running Vista and has the latest IE available, version 9. New computer time.
    ...or new browser time. Firefox would be a good alternative to IE9.

Lounger
    Thanks

Death knell for Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    ...or new browser time. Firefox would be a good alternative to IE9.

I am running Vista on one of my PCs, and I was unable to use Chrome (my personal fav) so I HAD to install FireFox. It works reasonably well, tho I do get the occasional hang! It usually clears itself, after awhile. The obvious solution is to upgrade to AT LEAST 8.1. Still, tho, I would never use IE! In fact, so far, I have not had any use for Edge, either! Chrome just works SO WELL! I never have to give it a thought! I had a really hard time doing it, but I finally realized it was time to give my old faithful, XP Pro! There just comes a time when you have to move on! My amazement is that, so far, ALL of my favorite old programs STILL WORK, (mostly) in Win 10! If MS can keep that up, I will continue to be a happy camper! My suggestion: try FireFox!

Bob-

Thanks
    I don't currently have any of my 19 PC's running Vista.
    But, I do have several customers who DO run Vista and currently with NO problems.

Some have even called Vista the new Windows Milenium. And I must say, I've never understood why.
    For most people, it works, and works as good as any OS from Microsoft.

Just like XP, Vista will still be run on many PC's for a long time to come.
    If it works, don't mess with it. Eh?

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Sounds to me, like it's time to get her off of that rickety old sinking ship (IE) that many of us got off of years ago.

Just because every PC comes with I.E. doesn't mean that we have to use it. Once in a while, it may even come in handy.

But for many of us, who gave up on IE years ago, Firefox is our Browser of choice. Most web sites that used to be IE only are now Firefox compatible.
    I can't remember the last time I was forced to use IE to get to some web site.

There are even some really nice Add Ons for FF that you might want to give her as well. Like, "Ad Block Plus", to keep the ads and banners off of her browser. I set up Firefox for every one of my customers, and no-one has ever complained. I even give them a SAFE and SECURE search engine, "ixquick.com" which most of us find very safe and comforting.

There are alternatives to almost everything, but death and taxes.

Cheers Mates, and Happy Holidays

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I can't remember the last time I was forced to use IE to get to some web site.
    You have to use IE to get Windows Updates. That's about the only time I can think of that you are forced to use IE.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Some have even called Vista the new Windows Milenium. And I must say, I've never understood why.
    For most people, it works, and works as good as any OS from Microsoft.
    Vista seems a bit slower than Windows 7, but other than that, I see no problem with using Vista.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I NEVER use IE for anything, including Windows Updates, unless it's by default. I never use ANYTHING but FF or Chrome, depending on which system I'm running. I used to get a message that said I HAD to use IE, but that's been several years ago, now.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Vista seems a bit slower than Windows 7, but other than that, I see no problem with using Vista.
    Vista is on the same path towards the lack of support as XP has gone. It may take some more time, but it will end up at the very same place. If I were to keep an older OS version, I would choose 7.

I am hoping to migrate a XP and a Vista system, to Windows 7, during this holiday season. It's becoming harder to get up to date software, browsers included, for both XP and Vista.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Vista is on the same path towards the lack of support as XP has gone. It may take some more time, but it will end up at the very same place. If I were to keep an older OS version, I would choose 7.

I am hoping to migrate a XP and a Vista system, to Windows 7, during this holiday season. It's becoming harder to get up to date software, browsers included, for both XP and Vista.
    My point was that if I had a customer or friend who was using Vista, and they had no problems, I would not recommend that they move to a newer version of Windows.

If, however, they had a serious problem with Vista, and a drive wipe and OS install was the best way to fix it, I would recommend to them that they go to something newer, probably Windows 7.

Administrator
    Thanks
    My point was that if I had a customer or friend who was using Vista, and they had no problems, I would not recommend that they move to a newer version of Windows.

If, however, they had a serious problem with Vista, and a drive wipe and OS install was the best way to fix it, I would recommend to them that they go to something newer, probably Windows 7.
    I understand Jim, just stating that I would get anyone to 7, as fast as I could. The real issue is that anyone on Vista will begin to feel the pinch of not having new browser versions, even AV manufacturers will stop making products for XP (first) and then Vista.

Of course, one can always ask why should anyone with older hardware move to a new OS. Well, if the new OS supports the old hardware, simply the fact that the OS will have continued support in terms of security updates, should be enough. There are already a few unplugged holes in XP and although more experienced users can handle keeping XP a while longer, I would definitely not recommend that for normal users.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast