Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Closing out 2015 with a bulky batch of patches

PATCH WATCH

Closing out 2015 with a bulky batch of patches

By Susan Bradley

All I wanted for Christmas was a light and easy patching month. Unfortunately, thanks to Microsoft, Adobe, and Apple, I'm not getting my wish. While most of us slog through the usual patching suspects browser, media, kernel, and .NET vulnerabilities server admins need to watch for a nasty DNS vulnerability.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/closing-out-2015-with-a-bulky-batch-of-patches/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-12-09 at 17:14.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan,

I follow your patch column closely, but today you left out patches for Office 2016. There are a slew of those in December. In your future columns, can you please include recommendations for patching Office 2016. Thanks.

Gary Cahn

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    KB 3101532 problem.

After downloading some of the new patches this morning, trying to open a new document in MS Word produced a ‘shortcut not found’ message. A repair to MS Office made no difference, so I uninstalled 3101532, which seemed the most likely suspect, and the problem is resolved.
    However, one irritation remains. Prior to removing 3101532 I deleted the Word shortcut from the task bar, but was unable to replace it, and am still unable to move the shortcut from the desktop to the task bar.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated, as I frequently open new Word docs.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Susan. Here's to a quieter January !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2015-12-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As of this morning, I have not been offered any patches to Office 2016. There are several bugs that I hope will be fixed. The most irritating one is an error message whenever Outlook 2016 starts. I get the following message: "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client". I also have a couple of Excel files that I have created myself that Excel won't let me open except in "Protected View" -- very irritating. I really regret upgrading to Office 2016.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm on Win8.1. I've followed Patch Watch for some years and have thus avoided a few problems.
    However, lately, I'm noticing an increasing number of patch numbers not covered in the column. This is typically how i find the relevant ones. I appreciate this may be an MS issue.
    There where 3 out of 12 in the current batch.
    3112336, 3112336, & 3108347. 3119147 was also not listed, for IE Flash so more obvious.

And of course, at the same time, MS's site becomes increasingly vague in the patch links so I'm left to either be unpatched or take a chance. :-(

jwoods
    If there are KB's that are not included, I usually follow Susan's standard approach to patches...

Security - Install

Kernel - Wait

Optional - Wait

I'll also check AskWoody and Woody on Windows.

http://www.askwoody.com/

http://www.infoworld.com/blog/woody-on-windows

If a patch causes an issue, usually uninstalling it or recovering from a System Restore point (which WU should create before installing the updates) will fix it.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-10 at 17:52.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "A lot"--no kidding!--thanks Susan. Hope your typing fingers recover by Christmas.

jwoods
    From Krebs on Security, 12/8...

Adobe and Microsoft today independently issued software updates to plug critical security holes in their software. Adobe released a patch that fixes a whopping 78 security vulnerabilities in its Flash Player software. Microsoft pushed a dozen patch bundles to address at least 71 flaws in various versions of the Windows operating system and associated software.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    NOTE: System Restore is no longer automatically creating restore points in W8.1 when updates are being installed - you have to do that step yourself:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...566,bs.1,d.eWE
    Last edited by vopthis; 2015-12-10 at 21:34.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by vopthis View Post
    NOTE: System Restore is no longer automatically creating restore points in W8.1 when updates are being installed - you have to do that step yourself:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...566,bs.1,d.eWE
    I read that and I don't think it means restore points are no longer automatically created in Windows 8.1.

From EightForums...

Event-triggered restore points

System Restore automatically creates a restore point before the following events:

Desktop app installation (provided the application utilizes an installer that is System Restore compliant). If the application install causes system problems, the user can restore the system to a state before the installation of the application.

System Restore creates a restore point before the installation of critical Windows updates begin.

System restore. For example, if you accidentally choose the wrong restore point, your can undo the system restore operation by choosing a restore point before the system restore took place. The user can then choose the correct restore point.

Scheduled restore points

System Restore creates restore points at regular intervals using the SR task in Task Scheduler.

System Restore in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 creates a scheduled restore point only if no other restore points have been created in the last 7 days.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...e-windows.html
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-11 at 02:03.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,
    In the most recent Windows Secret Patch Watch, this statement is made: "Here's a reminder that it's the end of the line for older versions of Internet Explorer. As I stated in the previous Patch Watch column, Microsoft will cease releasing updates for IE 7 and 8 on Jan. 12, 2016. But it's a bit more complicated than that; Vista systems will need to be on IE 9 to remain safe and Win7 systems will need to be on IE 10."
    And yet, in the previous edition of Patch Watch i(November 26) it stated: "With that in mind, it's no surprise that on Jan. 12, 2016, Microsoft is folding up the tent on Internet Explorer 7 and 8. After that date, only IE 9 on Vista, IE 10 on Windows Server 2012, and IE 11 on Windows 7 and 8.1 will get security updates. If you stick with an outdated version of IE, your vulnerability to malware will rise quickly."
    So, which is valid? Any ideas? Has MS "backed off"?
    Thanks ahead of time!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robtlmiller View Post
    Hello,
    In the most recent Windows Secret Patch Watch, this statement is made: "Here's a reminder that it's the end of the line for older versions of Internet Explorer. As I stated in the previous Patch Watch column, Microsoft will cease releasing updates for IE 7 and 8 on Jan. 12, 2016. But it's a bit more complicated than that; Vista systems will need to be on IE 9 to remain safe and Win7 systems will need to be on IE 10."
    And yet, in the previous edition of Patch Watch i(November 26) it stated: "With that in mind, it's no surprise that on Jan. 12, 2016, Microsoft is folding up the tent on Internet Explorer 7 and 8. After that date, only IE 9 on Vista, IE 10 on Windows Server 2012, and IE 11 on Windows 7 and 8.1 will get security updates. If you stick with an outdated version of IE, your vulnerability to malware will rise quickly."
    So, which is valid? Any ideas? Has MS "backed off"?
    Thanks ahead of time!
    I agree there is some confusion there as to whether Windows 7 users can continue with IE10 or will need to upgrade to IE11. I'm on IE9 and will need to upgrade anyway, although I rarely use IE and mainly use Chrome.

Anyone know the best way of initiating an upgrade with IE? I imagine there's a direct download somewhere, or I'm likely to have a hidden update from ages ago for it. Any known pros and cons of the various methods?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    I agree there is some confusion there as to whether Windows 7 users can continue with IE10 or will need to upgrade to IE11. I'm on IE9 and will need to upgrade anyway, although I rarely use IE and mainly use Chrome.

Anyone know the best way of initiating an upgrade with IE? I imagine there's a direct download somewhere, or I'm likely to have a hidden update from ages ago for it. Any known pros and cons of the various methods?
    Tandor, Thanks!
    I use IE10 and at that, I rarely use it. I typically use either Firefox or Chrome. Awkwardly enough however, the ONE web site I do use IE for is a credit card web site, and so, I may have to put up with the quirks I experience when viewing that site with Chrome if MS forces Win7 users over to IE11, as I tried IE11 in the past and "rolled back" to 10 using an image, although at this time, I can't remember exactly why.

Regarding an IE update, I know I have the update to IE11 "hidden", so will use that if needs be. Not sure about IE10, though . . .

Thanks again!

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post

Microsoft End of Support Announcement -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Wind...-of-IE-support

The easiest way to get IE11 is Windows Update.

For those who prefer to manually download and install it...

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/browser/dn262703
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-11 at 15:15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast