Silver Lounger
    Thanks

'Sending' with multiple email accounts (98)

I have three email accounts in Outlook that I get incoming mail, yet only one of these has a functional outgoing email server.

How does Outlook decide which outgoing server to use? It does not seem to be related to the "default" setting in the "Accounts" box.

The Accounts box does not allow you to enter a Mail Account without an stmp server -- even if one does not exist. When I send some email, Outlook chooses one of the accounts that does not have a viable stmp server. Then I must open the Email and select the correct outgoing Email account.

Is there some way for me to set the outgoing Account to always be my active stmp Account?

THANK YOU

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Sending' with multiple email accounts (98)

Howdy.

When you compose your email there should be a options icon button on the toolbar. If not, you should add it. After composing your email, click on the options icon. You should get a message options dialog box. Find where it says "Send using" and change it to the working stmp account. I have three different accounts. Two LAN connections and one dial-up. I have to remind myself to change it each time though.

Hope this helps,
    Bookman21

Thanks

Try listing the active SMTP server on all of your accounts. This might not solve the problem if the SMTP server requires authentication (user name and password) to send messages.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

no, outlook can't just choose the active smtp acct. you'll need to tell it which account to use.

if you only ever use one dialup connection (and hence one smtp server), you can edit the accounts to all use the same server, but if you often change dialups, you'll need to create duplicates of the accounts, one each for each dialup.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just as a heads up - some smtp servers are set not to allow you to use them if you have not logged into that system. The admins. turn it off because its part of the way spammers mask their true path and/or transfer the load to another system.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That is correct! The problem only occurred if I replied to people who sent me email on an account that was not my "default". The default setting applies to all *new* Outgoing, but not Replies to received mail.

Just set up ALL of the Accounts with the active STMP server and it works. THANK YOU ALL for you help.