Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updates today on W 7 and now there is a message showing.......

After the updates today, 17 of them, my computer (W 7 Enterprise) has a little notice at the bottom right corner of the screen "Windows 7, Build 7601, This copy of Windows is not genuine", which is false. I know the Enterprise systems are not eligible for the automatic update to W 10. My hunch is that MS tried to force a download of W 10 and because this is Enterprise, has now put that notice on my computer. Any ideas from you experts? I'm a self taught intermediate user, no techie here!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried activating it?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think there's anything to activate, because MS wouldn't have put W 10 on my computer. Is that what you mean, activate W 10? Thanks for the thought.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    No. Activate Win7 Enterprise. You don't have Win10. You have a problem with what Microsoft sees in the Win7 activation information.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go Start - type activate windows - press enter and see what it reports.

Should you need them, these commands run from an elevated command prompt will recreate the licensing store -

net stop sppsvc
    (wait until the service has stopped before entering the following lines)

CD %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Ro aming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

REN tokens.dat tokens.bar

net start sppsvc

slui.exe

After a couple of seconds the Windows Activation dialog will appear.

You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key, or Activation may occur automatically.

If you are asked for your Key, use the one on the COA sticker on the machine's case, or your current product key if you have upgraded.

Enter shutdown /r /t 00 to effect an immediate reboot and then redo "activate windows" to see what it reports.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-12-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I don't know how to do that, Joe. Bought the computer used with this version of 7 installed, and have just updated it since then. I get the 7 updates, so I thought MS could see that it's 7. Sorry, I told you I'm no expert!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can try that tomorrow, Sudo. I'm running out of time today and it's sounds like I really need to take my time to do that process. BTW, I ran the "magic jelly bean" a while back, to get the key info. Is that the same info you're talking about? Thank you

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That depends upon whether Enterprise came pre-installed on the computer and if it is an OEM machine.

MagicJellyBean will list an OEM generic key just as Belarc Advisor will and while being accepted, will render your install as an invalid key when you run activate windows from Start.

If the machine is an OEM build and came with Enterprise then you would use the COA sticker key.

Perhaps you can give us some more info on the pedigree of your machine.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    That depends upon whether Enterprise came pre-installed on the computer and if it is an OEM machine.

MagicJellyBean will list an OEM generic key just as Belarc Advisor will and while being accepted, will render your install as an invalid key when you run activate windows from Start.

If the machine is an OEM build and came with Enterprise then you would use the COA sticker key.

Perhaps you can give us some more info on the pedigree of your machine.
    I'm quite sure the machine was upgraded to 7 before I bought it, not original, and there's no sticker. I guess I can just live with that "not genuine" note on the screen if it doesn't cause problems later. I'm totally happy with 7 now and will use it as long as possible. My laptop can upgrade to 10, but I won't do that till all the problems are solved!

That's informative to know about the key from Magic Jelly Bean being generic, and Belarc too. Thank you for your time!

jwoods

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If it was upgraded to Enterprise then I'm assuming it will not display an OEM key that looks nothing like the normal 25 character key, but Belarc Advisor will be best for that info.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

jwoods
    In a Command Prompt, enter slmgr.vbs /dli

It will tell you what kind of license you have.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2015-12-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I think you're right! I tried the command prompt and it said that it's not recognized. You're all very kind to give me these tips. I'll try Belarc tomorrow; have used it before on another machine. The magic jelly bean key I get is 25 characters, btw. Don't know yet if that will help with anything. Will try more tomorrow. I'll see what belarc tells me. Thank you all.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by anniewr View Post
    I think you're right! I tried the command prompt and it said that it's not recognized.
    The command wasn't recognized, or the license?

You can copy and paste the command into the Command Prompt.

If it is in fact a volume license, the standard way of activating a retail or OEM license will not work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The command wasn't recognized. Just tried copy and paste and it said the same thing. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast