New Lounger
    Thanks

Today's new Windows Updates - KB3112343 on Win 7 Pro machine

Since MS started adding telemetry updates to Win7 (and other invasive changes to get me "ready for Win 10") - none of which I want - I have been looking at each individual update and seeing if it is another force feed of sorts before I install. I'm also using GWX Control Panel.

On today's update list, I looked into KB3112343 and discovered it is an update to Windows Update for the Win 10 upgrade. Several articles I found online said that this was supposedly an "optional" update that had to be manually checked. However, on my update it not listed as optional or even recommended but as "important" and is checked by default. Hmmm..

Did anyone else observe this behavior? Were the articles misinformed? Is MS continuing to shove these things down our throats? By the way, I unchecked it and then hid it.
    (second to the last in this screen capture)
    Attached Images Attached Images

jwoods
    There is a thread on DSL Reports where someone mentioned it had been switched from Optional to Important.

It currently shows as Important on my system, but I have it hidden.

Thanks
    It currently shows as Important on my system, but I have it hidden.
    Same here.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wasn't offered any Telemetry updates this month on my Win 7 and just to be sure I hadn't missed it, done search for that KB and it isn't installed.

Thanks
    I don't know about Telemetry BUT it does say that it allows MS to "Monitor".

KB3112343
    Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: December 2015

This article describes an update that contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This update has a prerequisite.
    About this update
    This update enables support for additional upgrade scenarios from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and provides a smoother experience when you have to retry an operating system upgrade because of certain failure conditions. This update also improves the ability of Microsoft to monitor the quality of the upgrade experience.
    Issues that are fixed in this update
    Assume that you use Software Update agent to apply software updates or determine the software update compliance in System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2. Windows Update agent scans client computers periodically. In this situation, the scan fails and generates a "Not Required" state for all updates. Additionally, you receive an "8007000E" error message.

Note This issue occurs after you install Windows Update Client for Windows 7: June 2015.
    Cause
    This issue occurs because memory on the client computer is fragmented when Windows Update agent scans the client computer in System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Same here.
    Ditto
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, all. I like my Win 7 but am staying vigilant in this "arms race", as it were.....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks to those who are more knowledgeable and more vigilant than I am.

The brief description of this update "Install this update to resolve issues in Windows." is deliberately misleading - I despise this sort of Corporate lying.

jwoods
    The "issues" are you don't have Windows 10 or any Store apps installed.

Thanks
    See CLiNT's new thread "Another 'all in one' Privacy tool by..." at: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...rivacy-tool-by
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The tasks ahead of us, is never so great, as the power behind us.