New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Flickering video under Windows 10 (BUT is it truly SOLVED???)

I seemed to have solved this, but not totally happy with the solution.

My original Windows 10 upgrade from Win 7 went fine. (not sure when, but more than a month ago). Then, about a week ago (start of Dec 2015) my primary monitor started to flicker. I have a graphics card that uses NVIDIA drivers, and I run dual monitors. Only the primary monitor (ViewSonic VA2431wm) flickered. The older Acer 19 inch did not.

I made sure all drivers were up to date. Still flickered.

I found a reference suggesting that Norton AV might be a problem. I followed instructions by uninstalling and re-installing Norton. There were several other steps (I forget exactly what!). Flicker stopped. YEAH!

Last night (Dec 9) my machine did another Win 10 update. Flicker came back. I uninstalled Norton. Period. Flicker stopped.

I then happened to notice that ALL the available built in security options in Windows had been turned on. I have no idea when this happened. I had them off as I depended on Norton for those services.

Perhaps Norton and Windows 10's security features clashed.

Any comments? Should I just stay with Windows security services and save the money from Norton upgrades?

thank you

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    A proper uninstallation will automatically re-enable Windows security that was disabled when the third party software was installed. That is designed behavior.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

manxman (2015-12-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    A proper uninstallation will automatically re-enable Windows security that was disabled when the third party software was installed. That is designed behavior.

Joe
    thank you Joe. I had not realized that.
    Richard