New Lounger
    Thanks

Black screen and wallpaper

Since migrating to Win 10 about 2 months ago I have generally been very happy with it and find it much better than Win 8/8.1 but I have experienced a number of niggles around the screen functions - loss of task bar; black screens; loss of wallpaper or screensavers. What prompted me to make this posting was a specific problem today. My system is an HP Spectre 2 for 1 laptop/tablet running the most recent update of Win10 (Build 10240) on an Intel i5-5200U CPU with 8 Meg of RAM; I have the unit attached to a Samsung monitor through an HDMI connection but the screen problems seem to be reproduced even if I disconnect and use the laptop screen.

Today I opened up the system and noticed that the taskbar at the bottom of the screen was missing. I should say that the last reboot of the laptop was probably 2-3 days ago as I think that these problems only seem to occur when the system has been running for quite a while. I tried clicking where the taskbar should have been but this had no effect in terms of launching/opening applications or files. I then minimised each of the open windows in turn until I ended up with a completely black screen but with the cursor visible and responsive.

I tried the Windows key but nothing happens and none of the minimised files were visible. I could return to any opened files using Alt+Tab but nothing made the Taskbar return nor make the Windows key work - I also tried the Windows key in combination with Shift, Ctrl and Alt.
    Eventually I gave up and used Ctrl+Alt+Del to log-off and when I logged back on - i.e. did not reboot the system - everything was fine. Anyone know what is going on and how to stop this happening?

The other problem I have had is that the desktop seems to regularly (~once a week) fail to find the wallpaper and /or screensaver files. When I open up Personalisation in the Settings menu and check the location of the image files it is looking in the correct folder, however when I click on Browse it tells me that the folder does not contain the files I am searching for. If I open File Manager and navigate to the same folder I can see that the files are in fact there. It appears as if at some times the utility is looking for a specific type of file and not identifying the JPEG and TIFF files in the folder as being suitable for wallpaper. If I redirect to a different folder and then point it back to the Wallpaper folder everything is fine again - at least for a week or so. I have not been able to link this behaviour to a specific set of circumstances. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
    Run the System File Checker. Open a Command Prompt in admin mode and type:- sfc /scannow

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i have run SFC as you suggest and the response was that no integrity violations were found.

Thanks
    As the OS is OK, check for anything running in the background and run an AV scan with Malwarebytes Free.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta..._database.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    As the OS is OK, check for anything running in the background and run an AV scan with Malwarebytes Free.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta..._database.html
    I have the paid-for antimalware premium installed I ran a scan but found nothing.

jwoods
    You might consider doing a repair with an in-place upgrade.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html

Thanks
    Try rolling back to a Restore Point, well worth a shot.
    Pete