View Poll Results: Why am I reluctant to upgrade to Windows 10?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Microsoft force-feeds the new operating system

11 52.38%
  • Microsoft telemetry has a sinister purpose

8 38.10%
  • Ability to block automatic system updates has been terminated

15 71.43%
  • Windows 10 will be the best ever - a work in progress

3 14.29%
  • I can't tell if this upgrade improves my system's security/performance/functionality as claimed

12 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Is there a way to stop Windows 10 from installing itself or corrupting Windows 7?

I thought that I might want to get the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and accepted the reservation. Now I'm sorry, what happened afterward has been anything but pleasant! Firstly windows updates started to fail and system restore points started getting erased entirely. Then windows updates started to crash the system, resulting in lots of disk errors which were corrected by chkdsk. Since sfc and the other Microsoft Update tool were not able to repair all of the corrupted system files that were found, I was forced to do a non-destructive reinstall of Windows 7 and re-update numerous times to get back Internet Explorer 11. I subsequently took the WS suggestion to install GWX Control Panel and used all of its features, but with the monitor turned on, it reveals that Windows 10 changes are still being implemented and restore points are completely deleted every time. If Windows 10 telemetry allows unwanted surveillance and the automatic system updates cannot be blocked, what makes this anything but a path for terrorists to shut down all computers running the latest Windows operating system? I really need some help to get my computer back. Please advise!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There should be a simple one time opt out for people that don't want the upgrade. Right now it's more like malware constantly hiding in windows updates. It's annoying having to inspect every update before installing it.
    Joe

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I thought that I might want to get the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and accepted the reservation. Now I'm sorry, what happened afterward has been anything but pleasant! Firstly windows updates started to fail and system restore points started getting erased entirely. Then windows updates started to crash the system, resulting in lots of disk errors which were corrected by chkdsk. Since sfc and the other Microsoft Update tool were not able to repair all of the corrupted system files that were found, I was forced to do a non-destructive reinstall of Windows 7 and re-update numerous times to get back Internet Explorer 11. I subsequently took the WS suggestion to install GWX Control Panel and used all of its features, but with the monitor turned on, it reveals that Windows 10 changes are still being implemented and restore points are completely deleted every time. If Windows 10 telemetry allows unwanted surveillance and the automatic system updates cannot be blocked, what makes this anything but a path for terrorists to shut down all computers running the latest Windows operating system? I really need some help to get my computer back. Please advise!
    On the GWX Control Panel blog, Josh Mayfield stated there was an issue with the new Monitor Mode feature.

December 1, 2015: I've gotten some very interesting reports from people using the new Monitor Mode feature. Different PCs are seeing different Windows 10 settings get re-enabled for mysterious reasons. They're not false alarms; these settings are really getting re-set by Windows (it's not happening to everybody, just certain users/computers), and I'm doing research and testing to see what I can do to stop it once and for all. To those of you observing this strange behavior: Hang in there; the next version of GWX Control Panel will have some some features intended to help you regain control and better understand what's happening on your PC.

I have Monitor Mode turned off, and Windows Update settings on Check for updates but let me choose...

So far (4 1/2 months in) I have not had any issues.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have mixed views on upgrading Win7 and Win8.1 up to Win10.
    --- But included in those mixed views, I have a positive perspective on doing so for computers that qualify for the upgrade

I have 2 Win7 computers: a desktop and a laptop.
    --- On each one of those computers back in Sep I implemented some tweaks that are supposed to block the Win10 upgrade
    --- Since then nothing has returned and being bothered by Win10 isn't happening.
    --- And from what I understand I have done what GWX does but I really don't know what GWX does include

I do plan on upgrading my Win7 desktop to Win10 but the only reason I haven't done so yet is I am waiting to see how long my computer lasts with avoiding Win10 upgrade features, notices, Get the Windows upgrade icon etc.
    --- And from what I've read it appears Win10 will likely be submitted to install itself automatically much more over some period of time than has already occurred
    --- That's my test: will it happen on either one or both of my computers.

I'd like to mention that before upgrading to Win10, a system image backup should be created on the original OS. Once Win10 is installed and up and running properly.
    --- Then create a "pristine" Win10 system image backup and have a schedule to maintain system image backups.

I have to admit I'm not thrilled that Microsoft has full control of Windows Updates.

Then there's the privacy issue: well I don't think privacy in the computer world of today applies
    --- When signing up on some web sites they have my personal information also

I could go on & on, but Win 10 is the newest OS and will continue to be there

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    And from what I understand I have done what GWX does but I really don't know what GWX does include
    See the GWX Control Panel User Guide...

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-11),lumpy95 (2015-12-21)

Thanks
    Peachy, can you check the health of your drive with HD Sentinel, please?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have checked the health of my hard drive and found no problems. I'm not ready to dismiss Windows 10 as undesireable yet, but will continue to block its installation for now. The trouble here is that Windows Update is deleting all of my system restore points. Isn't it supposed to create a new one after each update, not delete them all? My system is a 2009 vintage one that had Vista installed with a free upgrade to Windows 7. There is no touchscreen and many of the Windows 10 features will not be available. A clean install of Windows 10 would set me back a year because of all the software/drivers to reinstall. Microsoft is apparently the cause of my problems with continuing to use Windows 7 as usual. Wouldn't anybody be angry if this happened to them?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    And from what I understand I have done what GWX does but I really don't know what GWX does include
    I have yet to have to see it explained just what the GWX Control Panel does. If you have a link to that info please provide it?

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ wavy "Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post: And from what I understand I have done what GWX does but I really don't know what GWX does include"
    --- It appears to me you want to know how I was able to make that statement
    --- I'm including just a couple of quotes but there's plenty of good reading in there
    --- Here is the thread that affected how I understood what I posted

Whether to install Win10: Time to make a choice
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...hlight=windows
    In post #8, the question was asked: “Do you know if using GWX Control Panel is identical to making these reg edits, and would also block the Win 10 upgrade even if Windows Updates settings were set to fully automatic?”
    In Post #9, the answer was “yes using the GWX control panel will do the same thing.”

EDIT: I just noticed your post #16 in that thread and I'd like to let you know the same applies to me
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2015-12-12 at 19:44.

Thanks
    No disrespect to Ms Bradley, but I am still not convinced. The web site does not make it clear what the author says it does and I have not seen anyone post who has done the work to trace changes.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post

Thank you 'jwoods' !

I have about 20 PC's, all running either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and GWX was popping up its ugly head daily.

So I did what was suggested, like in the quoted post above, and installed the GWX Control Panel, where I could
    tell my OS to NOT get any MS Operating System updates. End of problem. I now have the GWC Control Panel
    installer on my Utilities disk, where I can share the GWX Control Panel with all my PC customers.
    They greatly appreciate not having GWX bug them.

Cheers Mates and Happy Holidays!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have finally gotten to start going through the GWX Control Panel User Guide posted by jwoods in post #5

@David in post #10: “I have not seen anyone post who has done the work to trace changes.”
    --- I’m on the same page as you as to whether or not to trust or know what’s going on when a program is developed that can be used for whatever situation is at hand
    --- However I like to compare or “trace changes” as you mention when I can
    --- I’ve double checked the manual procedures I’ve done on my computers so now I can verify what GWX does because I’ll know what to look for once I get to use GWX on a computer that I’ll get to service.

I’m only half way through the GWX guide and I like what I see so far.
    --- At my age it takes a little longer to grasp what’s going on but I know I’ll get the full picture at the end
    --- What I’ve noticed so far is that it is doing the manual procedures that I’ve implemented per Susan Bradley’s recommendations
    --- But in addition there are steps that notify the user whether or not some step is even necessary at that particular time
    --- The document is very well written: right now it’s on version 6.1.0.1 and version 1.7 is code complete and the plan is to have it available to the public in a few days
    --- I have created a shortcut so I can keep up with its versions

In my post #4 I mention “Since then nothing has returned and being bothered by Win10 isn't happening.”
    --- That still holds true so I know from experience my manual work is successful.

Thanks
    I will be awaiting your results.
    David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that the GWX Control Panel version 1.7.0.2 is out I wanted to update what I started.
    --- My first impression is that it is very good from what I’ve read
    --- But like any other 3rd party program it’s a good idea to read the user guide so it’s understood how to use it and what it does. Most people that I know won’t bother but that’s up to them.
    --- I very familiar with the manual method and can do them “blindfolded” by now.
    --- GWX does include additional features such as notifications and/or choices that a computer user can rely on.
    --- I expect I’ll be using GWX for the people I help at our senior center

Following is a list I am personally keeping track of: if anything happens expectantly, I’ll report back on it.

Acer ICONIA Tab W500 Win7 HP laptop
    12/21/15 Manual adjustments to block Win10 Upgrade
    --- I do not want Windows 10 on this computer:
    --- I will be replacing it with a purchased modern Windows 10 Pro laptop
    ===
    HP-CPQ 6000 Pro Win7 Pro desktop
    12/22/15 Procedures set to allow for a normal Win10 Upgrade
    --- This is the computer I had implemented to block Windows 10 upgrade manually per Susan Bradley’s recommendations: for a couple of days some of the KB’s showed up again in Windows Updates and I hid them.
    --- Since then I haven’t been bothered at all (almost a full 4 months).
    --- This includes no forced attempts by Microsoft to install Windows 10 free upgrade.
    Now I did undo the manual changes because I want to get Windows 10 on this computer: I expect I’ll like it.
    --- The Get Started WU message has already appeared.
    ===
    Gateway SX2110G Win8.1 (x64) desktop (originally Win8)
    12-23-15 Manual adjustments to block Win10 Upgrade
    --- This computer belongs to a friend who isn’t sure whether or not she wants to upgrade to Windows 10
    --- That’s ok with me: this is a good test computer to find out whether or not Microsoft will attempt to download maybe even install Windows 10.
    ===
    Dell Dimension E521 Win7 HP
    12/24/15 This computer belongs to my brother and he isn’t sure whether or not he wants to upgrade to Windows 10 either.
    --- It does have the Get Windows 10 icon in the lower right corner as is usual
    --- I haven’t looked into making any changes and recommended he let it run as is.
    --- With all of that said I want to note it was originally a Vista computer and was upgraded to Win7
    --- I’m not a fan of upgrading a foundational Vista computer to Windows 10
    --- I could expand on that but I’ll leave it as is for now

Thanks
    I just got the latest GWX Control Panel from 'Major Geeks' today.
    It's an improved version of the original and well worth the time to download.

I've already had to use it (the original version) on several of my own PC's and several of my customer's PC's.
    It's a permanent solution to the GWX problem.

Y'all have a great 2016!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast