2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stopping Outlook & Silverlight updates

I run Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit) on two computers. In Ms. Bradley's most recent column, she again mentioned that programs like Microsoft Silverlight are very vulnerable to attack, and should be removed if not used.

I removed both Silverlight and Outlook 2007 about a year ago, since I never used them. But Windows keeps sending me updates for them, which I have to then manually 'hide'.

Is there no way that I can stop these updates from being sent to me? Microsoft is smart enough to know what version of Windows I have, and even which Office 2007 programs I have installed, and never sends updates for ones not installed---except Silverlight and Outlook.

Harry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Often uninstalling a program like Outlook leaves vestiges in the Registry. Therefore, if you are getting notifications about Outlook patches then the detection mechanism being used is finding some leftover that indicates you have Outlook there.

Joe

jwoods
    Depending on how you "removed" them, Windows still thinks you have them installed, so there are likely some bits leftover.

Microsoft has a Fix It you can try for both installing and uninstalling programs.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/..._and_uninstall

Click the Run button and select Save.

Run the progam and select Uninstalling on the Are you having a problem... screen
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-11 at 15:39.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517 & jwoods:

Thanks for the quick responses. I had uninstalled Silverlight via the Programs & Features->Uninstall or change a program. It was listed there. Outlook was listed as part of Office, and one could check or uncheck to uninstall it. It was already unchecked. I am not sure if I ever installed it initially.

In any case, I ran Fixit. Silverlight did not appear on the list. Outlook did, so I ran the uninstall routine, and the report indicated that it succeeded. We shall see if I get future updates.

Thanks again.

Harry