Thanks

Network security

I don't really have a need for access from anywhere other than within my own home network, so no VPN or anything seems necessary for me. I'm using RDC to remote into the NAS (running Windows 10 Pro), but I leave it logged off unless there's something I need do to the NAS itself.

I'm using nested shared folders for access to files, mapping the parent folder as a drive letter, and leaving the NAS up 24/7. I have easy and simple access to my files through the mapping. Are there other security issues that I'm overlooking?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My concern with permanently mapped drive letters would be Cryptowall:

CryptoWall will encrypt data files on network shares only if that network share is mapped as a drive letter on the infected computer.
    If it is not mapped as a drive letter, then CryptoWall will not encrypt any files on a network share.

CryptoWall and Network Shares

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

bbearren (2015-12-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    My concern with permanently mapped drive letters would be Cryptowall
    Thanks. I removed the mapped drive and added the parent folder as a network location. Basically just moved it higher up the navigation pane in explorer. It's just as readily available.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    bbearren, you might run your process by Quietman7 over in BleepingComputer forum; he is one of several recognized authorities concerning protecting one's intranet and internet from any/all forms of CryptoThisThatTheOther.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

jwoods
    I would probably run a port scan on SpeedGuide.net to see if there are any issues...

http://www.speedguide.net/scan.php

If a hacker owns your router, the NAS is owned as well.