New Lounger
    Thanks

Dell Laptop Wireless Driver Problem

I have an older Dell Laptop Latitude D830 which I wiped clean and installed Windows XP professional. I did this because an old CAD program that I like will not run on later Windows OS. I went to the Dell product support site and downloaded the wireless network driver for this machine. Problem is, when I try to install this driver I get a message claiming an unzip error when trying to install the driver. I tried downloading the driver from other sites and get the same message. Please tell me where I can get the correct driver that does not give the unzip error.

jwoods
    It sounds like there is no application associated with the download file type.

If it is a zip file, you might try downloading and installing 7-Zip...

http://www.7-zip.org/
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-11 at 22:00.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimrob2 View Post
    I have an older Dell Laptop Latitude D830 which I wiped clean and installed Windows XP professional. I did this because an old CAD program that I like will not run on later Windows OS. I went to the Dell product support site and downloaded the wireless network driver for this machine. Problem is, when I try to install this driver I get a message claiming an unzip error when trying to install the driver. I tried downloading the driver from other sites and get the same message. Please tell me where I can get the correct driver that does not give the unzip error.
    All the Dell drivers I've gotten from support.dell.com have had numbers like R123456.exe. I save them to my Downloads Folder then move to the appropriate computer I'm working on. Then I simply double-click the .exe file to begin the extraction usually followed by the installation. In other words the .exe files are self-extracting. I have a Dell Latitude D810 Notebook but the Wi-Fi died on it and a replacement didn't help so I now use a USB Wi-Fi dongle, even better as it is an 802.11n model instead of the built-in 802.11g version.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dell Wireless Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    All the Dell drivers I've gotten from support.dell.com have had numbers like R123456.exe. I save them to my Downloads Folder then move to the appropriate computer I'm working on. Then I simply double-click the .exe file to begin the extraction usually followed by the installation. In other words the .exe files are self-extracting. I have a Dell Latitude D810 Notebook but the Wi-Fi died on it and a replacement didn't help so I now use a USB Wi-Fi dongle, even better as it is an 802.11n model instead of the built-in 802.11g version.
    The file that I am having the problem with is also an .exe file and is supposed to be self-extracting. During the extracting process is when I get the error message. Apparently the file is zipped and the extracting process is unzipping the file.

jwoods
    Try right-clicking on the file and select Run as administrator.

If you continue to get the error, check the Windows Event logs to see if you can get more details.

The easiest way to check the Event logs is to do the following...

In Control Panel, navigate to Administrative Tools and click on Event Viewer.

Expand the Custom Views folder and click on Administrative Events.

The Administrative Events contain Warnings, Errors, and Critical events from all event logs.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimrob2 View Post
    The file that I am having the problem with is also an .exe file and is supposed to be self-extracting. During the extracting process is when I get the error message. Apparently the file is zipped and the extracting process is unzipping the file.
    Yes, that is how it's supposed to work when things go right. Could be your downloads are being corrupted along the way. Could you try it on a friend's computer and save the file to a thumb drive then try installing from there? Some companies, open hotspots and libraries don't allow such downloads. If one knows what the Service Tag on the computer is and which file is needed they could try.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Self extracting files have to extract somewhere - to some directory. If it is expecting a specific directory to be there and it isn't then it could fail.

Most of the time, you can rename a self extracting EXE file to a ZIP extension and open it with any ZIP program and copy the files to some TEMP directory. Then run the install from there.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)