New Lounger
    Thanks

Should I Install Monitor Drivers or Use Windows Pre-installed Drivers on New System?

On Black Friday I succumbed to buying a new Lenovo Win10 desktop with Intel corei3 processor at a ridiculously low price and Samsung led 22" monitor as well. They replace a reliable 9 year old WinXP eMachines which is no longer supported. I'm new to Win10 and just starting to get some feel for it.

I plugged the monitor into the PC with a HDMI cable and fired it up. Since I hadn't installed the monitor's drivers, I didn't expect to see a bright well defined screen but was pleasantly surprised. The resolution was set at 1920x1080. I had trouble reading email so I lowered the resolution to 1600x900.

Should I install the monitor's drivers off the cd or keep using what I assume are pre-installed ones on Win10?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Check the Samsung site for Windows 10 drivers. The ones included with Windows 10 are very basic. That may be sufficient for a monitor but if there are any special features in the device they will most likely only be enabled by an OEM driver.

BTW, LCD/LED monitors work best when used at the default resolution. Instead of lowering the resolution trying increasing the text size. Right click on a blank spot on the desktop, select "Display Settings", use the slider to change the text size.

Joe

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyby View Post
    On Black Friday I succumbed to buying a new Lenovo Win10 desktop with Intel corei3 processor at a ridiculously low price and Samsung led 22" monitor as well. They replace a reliable 9 year old WinXP eMachines which is no longer supported. I'm new to Win10 and just starting to get some feel for it.

I plugged the monitor into the PC with a HDMI cable and fired it up. Since I hadn't installed the monitor's drivers, I didn't expect to see a bright well defined screen but was pleasantly surprised. The resolution was set at 1920x1080. I had trouble reading email so I lowered the resolution to 1600x900.

Should I install the monitor's drivers off the cd or keep using what I assume are pre-installed ones on Win10?
    I would say if it isn't broken, don't "fix" it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Check the Samsung site for Windows 10 drivers. The ones included with Windows 10 are very basic. That may be sufficient for a monitor but if there are any special features in the device they will most likely only be enabled by an OEM driver.

BTW, LCD/LED monitors work best when used at the default resolution. Instead of lowering the resolution trying increasing the text size. Right click on a blank spot on the desktop, select "Display Settings", use the slider to change the text size.
    This is the way to go, native resolution = sharp fonts, images... ; also you can set default font sizes etc. in your email program, if it's webmail you can use Ctrl++/Ctrl-- to set the web page to your preferred scaling.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jellyby,

I just installed a 27" Samsung Dual Monitor setup and the bright new shiny monitors would not use the full screen width/height w/the windows drivers. Once I got the Samsung monitor drivers installed the screens filled all the way wozer! As always YMMV but I'd install them you can always roll them back.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post

Joe
    Thanks very much. I followed your advice and that seems to have fixed things.

Thanks
    I do not believe Monitor Drivers are drivers. They just give the manufacturers definitive description of the monitors capabilities. Should not hurt, may help.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    The monitor "drivers" do supply these capabilities to Windows which allows setting the display to the proper resolution where it was blocked before.

Jerry

Thanks
    Your typical monitor should have an "ini" file and maybe a firmware release, maybe.
    Anything else the monitor supplies on disk will depend on the capabilities of the monitor and what the manufacturer
    offers in those capabilities. Your "REAL" driver will reside with the GPU you have.

Anything the manufacturer has on disk is worth taking a look at because it is supposed to be specific to your monitor, which
    very rarely changes. As opposed to a "REAL" video driver.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-12-14 at 13:50.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Your typical monitor should have an "ini" file and maybe a firmware release, maybe.
    Anything else the monitor supplies on disk will depend on the capabilities of the monitor and what the manufacturer
    offers in those capabilities. Your "REAL" driver will reside with the GPU you have.

Anything the manufacturer has on disk is worth taking a look at because it is supposed to be specific to your monitor, which
    very rarely changes. As opposed to a "REAL" video driver.
    inf file
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I stand corrected.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I stand corrected.
    Ah have a seat
    David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is the color profile on a monitor. Additionally a monitor's "driver" can install certain functions like "pivot" if the monitor has a supported function.

But every monitor has a unique color profile and every monitor should have its specific profile installed for best faithful color rendition. This holds true for laptop/tablet screens as well.

Windows OS may indeed select an optional appropriate .icc or .icm file, but often does not.