New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Add drop-down menu to Quick Access Toolbar

I want to add a drop down menu to the Quick Access Toolbar in Word and one to PowerPoint 2010. I know that there is a way, but I cannot find the information on how to do it.

GeorgeT

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldgtk View Post
    I want to add a drop down menu to the Quick Access Toolbar in Word and one to PowerPoint 2010. I know that there is a way, but I cannot find the information on how to do it.

GeorgeT
    This is what I got by putting "add to the Quick Access Toolbar" in Word 2010's Help on Win7:
    Add a command to the Quick Access Toolbar

1.On the ribbon, click the appropriate tab or group to display the command that you want to add to the Quick Access Toolbar.

2.Right-click the command, and then click Add to Quick Access Toolbar on the shortcut menu.

Add Spelling & Grammar command to Quick Access Toolbar in Word

Note In the 2007 release of Office, when you right clicked commands on the menu that you saw after you clicked the Microsoft Office Button, you had the option to add the command to the Quick Access Toolbar. In Office 2010, you do not have this option after you click the File tab.
    I didn't see where a Context menu could be added but didn't read it all.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I wanted to add a drop down menu in the Quick Access Toolbar to populate with a Marco. I am very sorry I did not make myself clear.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldgtk View Post
    I want to add a drop down menu to the Quick Access Toolbar ... I know that there is a way
    AFAIK you cannot add a dropdown to the QAT. The only workaround I know of is to add a button to the QAT that calls a userform macro with the dropdown but that also requires having the relevant template/document open. Once you start getting to that level of complexity, you may as well just add the controls to the Addins tab on the Ribbon.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    You can do this by adding a Menu Button to the Ribbon (using XML, not through the interface) and then putting that button on the QAT. I know of no way to do it directly on the QAT. This menu button could be for a dynamic menu.

What is shown below is a dynamic menu containing other dynamic menus, on the QAT. It is placed there by right-clicking on the button for this menu on a ribbon tab. The tab is currently hidden in the XML so only the QAT button shows up.

Customize the Ribbon - It doesn't take Rocket Science!
    Ribbon X - Customizing the Ribbon in Office 2007
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2015-12-13 at 10:10.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you created custom ribbons before?

This link provides an example but if you haven't read the rest of the book (RibbonX Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon by Robert Martin, Ken Puls, Teresa Hennig) or already taken on a custom Ribbon task it may be beyond you.
    https://books.google.com.au/books?id...ageMso&f=false
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia