Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10, free version, if DONATING a machine, can I re-install clean win 10 and license remains?

i have couple windows 7 machines.
    upgraded to windows 10.

i have some IMAGE BACKUPS of the prior windows 7, and the clean install disks, and am debating if I need this stuff.

IF I have IMAGE backups of windows 10 for me -
    and I decide to DONATE machine at some point
    can I REINSTALL WINDOWS 10 as CLEAN (with the windows 10 install disk), and have it RETAIN the windows 10 licence,for the recipient?

I don't want any of my data on there, and doing the clean re-install of windows 10 would do this (install windows 10, with no prior apps or data)

OTHERWISE, if these machines are donated and I only give them the windows 7 clean install disks, then they have to pay to get the windows 10 version that is currently on them, making them cost prohibitive for the recipient

thanks

Thanks
    Yes, you can clean install Windows 10 and the license will be retained on that machine, as Windows 10 licensing is "attached" to the machine itself.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I noticed you mentioned you did not want your data to be on the machines. If there are sensitive files on there, and you want to ensure they cannot be recovered, you need to take steps to ensure those areas of the hard drive are overwritten, not just erased or formatted. I've seen this option sometimes during installation procedures (I can't remember exactly where, I usually ignore it), but generally I use Eraser software.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's what Reset is for:

Reset your PC
    Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows.
    To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.

Remove everything
    Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.
    Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    Removes changes you made to settings.
    Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive.
    This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

Reset your PC

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-12-16)

Thanks
    Yes, thanks Bruce. The Fully Clean option is what I was trying to get my brain to remember where I'd seen it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks to all for reply.
    my concern was whether the FREE license was retained.
    because, even if teh license is tied to the machine, I did not want the FREE install to get overwritten by a "install of date 8/1/2016", which would make it a PAID install
    nick

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aoz View Post
    thanks to all for reply.
    my concern was whether the FREE license was retained.
    because, even if teh license is tied to the machine, I did not want the FREE install to get overwritten by a "install of date 8/1/2016", which would make it a PAID install
    nick
    The license applies for the life of the machine according to MS, so a clean install could be done at any time during the life of the machine without changing the nature (Free) of the license.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    that is excellent.
    that makes these machines much more useful to be able to donate.
    I upgrade machines every 3 or 4 years; the ones i retire are not bad machines, great for institutions to use for students for internet, general computing, etc.
    as long as my data is off, i feel comfortable wit that.

WIPING DATA
    one way I've done this is to use TRUECRYPT (now using VERAcrypt), and create a truecrypt vault to take up all the empty space of the drive.
    let it encrypt that file, then just erase that file.
    I'm not in the defense industry, so all i want is general unavailability of personal data, and wiping like that a couple times does pretty well.
    but i will look at the windows directions above also

thanks to all