New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Driven to distraction . . . by drives!

I write this as much in despair as frustration . . .

I regard myself as an ordinary average computer user. I know a little. But not a lot. One of the things I do know is that many people, including myself, like to tell others that when it comes to computing, three things are worth remembering: 1) back-up; 2) back-up; 3) back-up. And so. . . I back-up.

I do so in the simplest way possible, because even I understand. . . simple. My PC has a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS and two drives. Drive C is a 250GB SSD and contains my operating system and nothing else. Drive E is a 1 terrabyte Samsung HDD.

My PC has four USB ports at the back, which I can't easily access, and two on the top at the front, which I can. The external drive I primarily use for back-up is a mains-powered Seagate (I don't trust USB-powered drives.)

For back-up activity, I use Synchredible from Ascomp Software in Germany. Synchredible is smart, fast, easy to operate, free to use (for home users) and ensures that the current state of my computer is always mirrored in a synchronized back-up.

I back-up (synchronize) My Documents on E to My Documents on F. I power up the drive, open Synchredible, and leave it to race through My Documents on my E Drive, comparing what's there with what's in My Documents on my F Drive (the Seagate.) Synchredible is lightening fast. A synchronization / back-up takes mere minutes.

Or, well, it did, once upon a time. But no more. The first sign of trouble was Synchredible's failure to back-up E to F. At first I thought it was the software, but then discovered that there was no Drive F at all. It was now Drive G. The only way of getting around it was to re-configure Synchredible to back-up from E to G. And it then took an age to do so. A week later, and when I checked the drive letter for the Seagate back-up, it was back to F again.

And so it has gone on. And on. And on.

It seems that, because like every other home computer owner (I imagine?) I use those two spare USB ports for everything from card readers (transferring my pictures from camera to PC) to selective back-up (I have another Samsung HDD primarily for photographs and movies) Windows comes along and thinks ah, let's have a certain drive letter for one device and another, for another. There's no constancy. It can be F one day and it can be G the next. Or even, on one occasion, H.

Right now, Synchredible is churning away, backing up to Drive F after previously backing up to Drive G. The frustration is. . . enormous.

I've read up on what Windows does, and why it does it, but I've been utterly unable to figure out from everything I've read something that I would've thought was (or should be) simplicity itself: how to ensure a FIXED CONSTANT drive letter to a USB port. Truth to tell, I've not even been able to identify which port is handling what, there being no advice on that which I've yet found in all the responses read elsewhere to problems with wandering Drive letters.

So-oo . . . I've come here, to a favorite website and a forum where the sharing of information has long been characterized by a particular hallmark: people. . . spell. . . things. . . out. Instead of assuming the enquirer has some prior expertise.

And that's why I'm here now. It's all very well, this talk about how sensible people should always back-up, back-up, back-up. . . but how the heck is that task going to be (a) regular and (b) simple for the ordinary average user if the drive letter of the external target drive changes whenever Windows feels like it? Help appreciated. . . and ideally, in a step-by-step form tailored not to experts, but simpletons such as I.

Many thanks.

Thanks

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-12-12),Granger (2015-12-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    +1 for USBDLM
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Granger (2015-12-13)

Thanks
    USBDLM - "that's the way to do it!"
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

Granger (2015-12-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Could you have been a bit more succinct?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Granger (2015-12-13)

Thanks
    Yup

11. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Granger (2015-12-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks satrow: much appreciated. I've just DL'd this tool now so am off to play with it (that is, learn how to use it.) I'm surprised I'd never heard of this before. Or that it is -- presumably -- the only software of its kind to deal with something that must affect 1000s of computer users worldwide at one time or another. Thanks again.